How do others do fx sends

If I want to add reverb or delay to a track, instead of adding it in the same track, I know others add a fx buss and send the audio there but I also seen they out the plugins in the fx bus to post fader, what’s the best Method to use and why, I did like when plugins have a mix knob to blend it along with additional eq settings for the plugin

There a chance you can take another stab at wording on your question, not sure I am understanding your examples.

Short version, add Reverb to an external bus, send from tracks to bus. Use fader on Bus to control WET sound (Or send to the bus from the track), and fader on track to control DRY sound.

Should I just pre or post fader for fx. I usually don’t add anything on my post fader on my tracks but buses I think I understand why engineers use post fader fx

Are you asking should the send to the bus be post fader, or should the FX be inserted post fader on the bus?

The general gist of the answer to either of those is ‘it depends’ but likely post fader. You have to think through the signal flow and how it will affect the audio.

Generally with time based FX (Reverb, Delay, etc.) you would typically want the FX to fade out when the fader for the dry sound is pulled down. If you have a send pre-fader, that means you could pull down the fader on that track, and still hear 100% the wet sound. If it is post fader however, when you pull down the fader, the wet sound will naturally fade out.

Similarly if you insert the reverb on the bus pre-fader, when you pull down the bus fader the reverb will also be muted, typically in an unnatural way but much more direct control over the level of the effect. If you put the effect post fader on the bus and bring down the bus fader then it will still naturally tail off before it dies as you have lowered the source feeding the insert/plugin.

Not sure if that answers your question or not, but hope it does.

Seablade

Thanks it does help, I have to know which to use based on what I’m trying to accomplish

Exactly, you just have to play around with it and understand what each does, then decide what you are looking for. If you are just working on something pretty conventional probably post-fader is what you want. Sometimes pre-fader can allow some cool effects. Try setting up a pre-fader send to a reverb bus, and do a slow fade out on the channel fader. The reverb keeps going as the main sound fades out, so it sounds a little bit like the instrumentalist or singer is walking out the back of the room and down the hall. Not something to use very often, but nice to know how to do it when you want.