How do I reply to discobot?

I’m trying to do what discobot tells me to, but I can’t find how to reply to it…

The reply buttons are missing it seems:

1 Like

This forum does not allow private messaging. – I guess the “welcome robot” text wasn’t updated to reflect this, so just skip this part.

I feel sorry for poor Discobot, waiting for replies it’ll never get. :smiley: I’d originally mostly ignored that welcome message, but after voxelv’s post I tried following its instructions out of curiosity, and a little later also got this message:

Hey @elcalen, just checking in because I haven’t heard from you in a while.

To continue, reply to me any time.

If you’d like to skip this step, say skip.

To start over, say start new user.

If you’d rather not, that’s OK too. I’m a robot. You won’t hurt my feelings. :sob:

Aww…

Poor bot.

I see two ways forward:

• report a bug to https://www.discourse.org/ - the bot should skips this when private message are disabled
  • enable private messages on this forum

I’ve re-categorized this post to “Site Feedback”.

When starting this forum It seemed overkill to allow personal messages here, and I still think that personal private communication is beyond the scope of the Ardour community.

Oh well, there’s a 3rd option too: just leave it as easter-egg. It’s the time of the year anyway :slight_smile: Cute bot.

I lost several minutes of my life to try to follow the good manners of a non-updated bot. I’m guessing I’m not the only one…

Fixed meanwhile:

I and another member need to swap email addresses (hopefully without broadcasting them to the wider world). I guess we could type them here and then delete them soon after - but private messaging would be a whole lot simpler…

Any other suggestions gratefully received…!

Another suggestion…

AFAIK this site doesn’t allow text files to be uploaded (e.g. C++ source files). Image files are the only type that’s allowed. Could that be extended to include an archive format (e.g. zip files)? Users could then exchange other file types more easily without (hopefully!) compromising the site too much.