How do I add silence to a region?

I have a region and it is slightly shorter than a beat on the grid. I want to expand it a bit by adding a bit of silence to the end of it. Is it possible and if yes - then how?

How I solved the problem is not very convenient - I’ve created a range and exported it to a wave file.

@louigi: Regions represents sections of source (audio) files. You cannot lengthen a region beyond the bounds of the audio file it represents. I can see the utility - consider filing it as a feature request. You can generally just set the grid and most operations will use it, thus avoiding the need to lengthen it in the first place.

Hmm why exactly would that be needed is what I am trying to figure out. If a region is just shorter than a grid unit, and you are snapping to the grid, silence is the automatic end result of there not being a region to play at any point in time, so therefore silence is automatically ‘added’ to the end of the region in a non-destructive manner. If you are going to put another region after it and want it to align with the grid, then simply having the snap or magnetic grid on should do that…

/me is confused…

Seablade

Yeah, what if you want to duplicate it?

@paul: okay, sure!

Eh I guess I am weird, either if I want to duplicate in that fashion I tend to not be tied to a meter/tempo, or I use ALT+Drag anyways as rarely do I want it more than a few measure at once, or I don’t want it constantly going for those several measures(Depending on the length of the sample).

Oh well to each their own.

Seablade

Nobody has mentioned the obvious, so:

Click “R” to initiate range mode. Drag a range across the region, extending it to the desired length (using Grid will help you snap it to beats or bars if you wish). Now right-click on the Range and choose “consolidate range”. Done!

-Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles

2 Likes

Hey!
Thanks Ben, I will try this method!

Thenks Ben, saving sooooo much time :slight_smile: !!

What @BenLoftis said made me try a “range duplication” and it works perfectly! What you simply have to do is selecting a grid range using range mode (not grab mode) with ‘snap’ enabled and and then duplicate (alt+d).

The advantage is that you don’t have to create another .wav file (what consolidate and export does). Of course you could then replace the old .wav with the consolidated file by cleaning-up sources, though the file would be (slightly) larger.