Help me recover an Ardour 5.12 project?

Hi! I have a project started in Ardour 5.12 that I can no longer open, without this hanging Ardour. I then have to close the window with a warning from the operating system that the software has stopped responding. I think the last thing I had done was try to drag the Preset Convolver plug in from one track to a newly created stereo bus, from within the mixer view. It looked to me like this had hung the app, so that was the first time I had to force kill it.

Since this happened I’ve tried a number of times to reopen. I can choose to recover from crash or ignore crash data, either way I get a blank gray window and the application is stuck.

Is there anything I can do beside choose from between these two options to recover my project either in whole or in part?

A directory listing of the root of the project:

drwxr-xr-x 2 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 13:42 analysis
drwxr-xr-x 2 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 13:42 dead
drwxr-xr-x 2 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 13:42 export
drwxr-xr-x 2 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 20:24 externals
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gus gus   7419 Feb 10 09:52 instant.xml
drwxr-xr-x 3 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 13:42 interchange
drwxr-xr-x 2 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 15:39 peaks
drwxr-xr-x 4 gus gus   4096 Feb  9 20:20 plugins
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gus gus 273299 Feb 10 05:13 myproj.ardour
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gus gus 255942 Feb 10 05:13 myproj.ardour.bak
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gus gus  51040 Feb 10 05:13 myproj.history
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gus gus  51046 Feb  9 16:37 myproj.history.bak
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gus gus 258387 Feb 10 05:12 myproj.pending

Thank you.

Copy myproj.ardour.bak to myproj.ardour.bak.save
Rename myproj.ardour to myproj.ardour.err
Rename myproj.ardour.bak to myproj.ardour
Rename myproj.pending to myproj.pending.save

Now try and start ardour. It will use the backup file, which hopefully is working.
If that also fails try and copy myproj.pending.save to myproj.ardour and see if it’s able to start then.

You could also try and rename the two .history files to something else, in case they’re the ones causing the crash for some reason.

1 Like

Does Ardour make it to the screen where it asks you to choose a project to open? If so, click the safe mode box to open without loading any plugins.

1 Like

…and if “safe mode: disable all plugins” does not help.
Please upload the project file myproj.ardour (dropbox or similar). That might help to diagnose and address the issue.

1 Like

Yay! Thank you so much Robin and Chris, yes disabling the plug-ins allowed me to open the project. Things look so far so good, tho I see there are now stubs in place of plug-ins. Can I simply delete these and try to re add the proper plugins again? Feeling a bit gun shy at the moment, is all. Thanks!

Yes, delete some plugins and save the project, then re-open without safe mode. That convolution plugin seems like the obvious starting point since that was the last thing you added. What is the exact plugin name? Maybe it has a known compatibility problem.

I’m pretty sure the only plugins I had were x42 Zero Config|Latency Convolver (lv2?) and the Red Zeppelin multi from AVL drums. I have another project now which has at least the Red Zep plug in and it too is now having problems opening…

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.