Harrison Mixbus is now available for Linux and OS X

@antondvh: that is the entire point of that message, if you read it :slight_smile:

Is more than one core necessary to run Mixbus? Is anyone running it on a one core box? At the moment I only have a one core box myself but planning to build a new one with 2-4 cores hopefully soon, but I don’t want to make the expense if it’s money I can use for a newer computer and not be able to run it on the current one, can any of you share your experience or knowledge?

Also how many installs does the license permit? Can I install on more than one box?

Thanks.

I run it on a single core Intel 2,8 with 2 GB ram inside AVLinux, it runs really fine. I have between 20 and 50 tracks, the linuxDSP plugins, IR (for the drums) and sometimes a few additional plugins.

Runs fine, together with a Hydrogen and a harmonySEQ.

I record via overdubbing, export to a stereo track and do there the (pre)master.

No probs here with a single core.

About the licence thing… you get a licence file, so it should be no problem to install it on more than one box. I just can’t tell if it is allowed. Maybe you ask Ben Lofts in the chat.

I wouldn’t recommend it on a single core, it likely is possible, but it will likely be painful as well.

In as far as the license, keeping in mind I am not Harrison, I believe the stance is, if you paid for the license, you can install it as many times as you wish on your own computer[s]. Obviously no distribution is allowed. Take this with a grain of salt though, I suggest contacting Harrison for clarification.

Seablade

Heh ok someone already jumped in with a positive experience on single core;) Always glad to be corrected, but I certainly wouldn’t run it with a low clocked CPU then.

Seablade

the answer is yes, you re allowed to run it on more than one machine. i asked harrison how its about the licence cause i want to run it on a tower and a laptop. so its a personalized licence, which is great. …

Oh great news about the license, thanks calimerox, and just like seablade says redistributing wouln’t be nice…, so I’ll see, I’m still finishing some expenses here in my home studio, have been more of a carpenter than musician the last past weeks (sound proof door, acoustic panels, etc…), but I’m almost done so I’ll might give Mixbus a go soon. I’ll still wait for anyone else on single core to jump in and let me know how they’re coming along.

Thanks scg62 for your experience.

Just purchased it, the thing is rock stable on my system (Just as expected from Ardour). For sure 2+ cores and more than 1GB RAM will surely help, but it runs without glitches or pain. Further heavy testing coming this way…

Ardour+Mixbus is like cheese and wine (throw in some good bread)…

This will unfortunately pull me a bit away from the Ardour3 testing, will still be helping as much as I can, but now I have a new tool to learn.

Thanks Paul and Devs, Thanks Harrison Consoles…

Cheers!

I take it that you have to buy another license to run Mixbus on Linux even if you already have Mixbus on OSX? If that’s the case, I won’t buy. I have already stopped using Mixbus on OSX due to problems. I would have liked to try Mixbus on Linux but won’t bother now. I’ll stick with Ardour.

@ efflux:

I don’t think you need another license for another OS…

@efflux

Pretty certain you don’t need another license no. In fact I am all but positive as when you purchase Mixbus now you get links to both the OS X version and the Linux version, and your license file works with both. The same license applies as when you purchased it, but no I don’t think they are out to force people to buy it multiple times.

Seablade

I get no links (from Mixbus when it knows about updates - I did this after the Linux version was released) to anything other than OSX version and I have no license file that I know of, just a file which is the full Mixbus app. Essentially the Harrison policy appears to be if you bought Mixbus before the Linux version you have to buy another license to get the Linux version. I can’t see anything explaining anything else and everything points to that scenario. Mixbus has not been top of my agenda recently. Basically because I’m ditching the Mac for anything except hosting plugins which by the way I’m having to do in Ardour. AUs generally have problems here and there and Ardour is in fact better than some other hosts. No doubt they all work fine in Logic but I ditched that a long time ago. So it would be nice if I could now run Mixbus on Linux. I’ve already paid $94 for the app. I know this is not a huge amount but essentially Mixbus is channel strips tacked onto Ardour so although very useful it’s not essential.

I guess I’ll have to contact Harrison but I shouldn’t even have to do that. Mixbus, or rather the Harrison part of this version of Ardour, is not open source and we have to pay for it. Therefor there should be no problems or confusion over issues like this and you most definitely should get a license that allows both Mac and Linux.

@efflux

Answer is essentially contact Harrison. They will take care of you.

Seablade

The update to Mixbus 2.0 cleared things up. I get downloads for both platforms.