harddrive too slow with opensuse11.0 and ardour2.4.1


this is frustrating me…
i used to record scetches of our songs with opensuse and ardour for quite a while now. now that i’ve upgraded to opensuse 11.0 ardour says my harddrive is too slow and ardour wasn’t able to write data to it and i can’t record anymore.
does anyone have a clue what the heck it wants me to do?
thanks in advance,


I guess we need a bit more info.

Does it happen every time or just occationaly? You might have a cron job (like slocate/updatedb) running.

Try ‘hdparm -t /dev/sda ; hdparm -T /dev/sda’ and report those numbers here sowe can see what speed your HD is capable of.

What freq are you running Jack/Ardout at, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96KHz?

Is it a laptop or a stationary PC? What filesystem are you using?


first of all: thanks for your time! i really appreciate your will to help me!

okay, here we go: it happens every time, after about 4 - 5 seconds, i tried it after rebooting the system and with different desktops, even the very “slim” ones.
i have used ardour with opensuse to record ideas and sketches for quite a while now, i guess a year or so. there has never been a problem like this one and i used to have firefox and konqueror running in the background.
updatedb is not running, that was among the few things i’ve checked when that problem occured. ;o)

i am using a stationary pc, here are some hardware facts:

cpu: amd athlon xp1800+, running at 1.5 ghz
memory: 512 mb
filesystem: reiserfs

and here are some software facts:

os: opensuse 11.0
kernel: i686
ardour version: 2.4.1 (built from revision 3243)

the result of hdparm -t /dev/sda is:

Timing buffered disk reads: 146 MB in 3.02 seconds = 48.39 MB/sec”

with firefox running, i can do it again after reboot, just if the result would be that different…

the result of hdparm -t /dev/sda is:

Timing cached reads: 236 MB in 2.00 seconds = 117.99 MB/sec”

sounds fast enough for me.

jack and ardour are running at 44.1 khz, exactly the settings i always used to use.

i’d like to say a big “thank you” again for your help and please excuse my english, it isn’t my native language…

Your english seems perfect (apart for not capitalizing the first letter in the sentences :wink:

I really have no idea why it shouldn’t work for you.
I also run opensuse 11 on a 2000+ with 1GB RAM and XFS.
I run Ardour 2.5 and the latest jack from svn.

Are you recording multiple tracks simultaneously or just one track at a time?

Could you try using some other program to record, like Rezound, jack_capture, Traverso and/or Audacity. One interesting thing would be to see if there’s a difference when recording through alsa compared to jack.

If things work with the other programs, I guess you could try my Ardour/jack binaries to see if the openSUSE ones are broken.


wow, that was a fast answer! thank you very much!
thanks also for the kind words about my english, it’s been a while since the last time i had to write in english. but it seems i got much more lazy when it comes to capitalizing! ;o)
enough off- topic stuff!
after i’ve postet the last message, i tried once again (without touching any settings!!!) and it worked… well, almost. now i have the problem, that the drums i have imported, are also on the tracks i have recorded my guitar on and i don’t have a clue how to stop that.
as mentioned before, i am using ardour for some time now and i know about the input and output settings for each track, also in qjackctl. no chance to get rid of drums on guitar tracks!
or i’ll maybe wait two days and it’ll fix itself…
any idea on that?
oh, about your question: i only record one track at a time, but i need to hear the drums…
thanks again!

And here’s even faster… :slight_smile:

I had the other-tracks-bleed-into-my-new-track problem once.
I’m recording my guitar through S/PDIF and didn’t remember that the S/PDIF interface on my Audiophile 2496 was jack_connection 9-10 and the 11-12 input I’d connected is some mix interface.

I don’t know if you’re using qjackctl but if you do you can check the Connect window to make sure you’ve connected everything correctly.

faster! ;o)

thanks again, you’re a real help!
i am using an old soundblaster live player 1024 (or very similar) and didn’t plug off any of the cables that there usually are. i also didn’t add any! ;o)
yeah, i use qjackctl, i checked the settings and everything seemed to be fine. then i disconnected all connections and made new and correct ones but i still have the same problem.
maybe this is of interest for you (due to the fact that you are recording guitar too): i use the recording output of a roland micro cube. before upgrading to opensuse 11.0 i never had any problems with this!

You can check the Windows->Track/Buss inspector to see if there’s anything suspicious there.

But I’m wondering if the SB is reintroducing its output to the input. See if you have a mixer program like alsamixer or something and check those settings.
You could try do a recording with click. If the click ends up on the recording I definitly think it’s a SB-mixer problem.