Google Summer of Code 2007

If you’re serious about it, write an application and submit it.

I would, but I have no progamming skills. (Well, once I tried Delphi, haha…)

Benjamin

A tempo track would be nice too. like when you press ctrl+t (or alt+t, i forgot) in cubase, you get a 2 dimensional board (tempo vs time) where you can “draw” the tempo, using straight lines, fade-in/out’s,…

Dieterbe: Yeah, that’s pretty much what I had in mind. Just three different areas that each have a function. Each part does get smaller as the note shrinks, but I figured it wouldn’t be a problem as long as the view of the notes can be stretched horizontally to one’s liking. It’s weird seeing midi programs without this, but I guess I was just spoiled by Sonar.

Also, in NO way was I trying to dis Rosegarden, I use their product and it’s definitely solid (and the product of an amazing amount of work). I know that they have mouse controls of the sort that cannam reported, but I much prefer only needing to use the mouse to put things down, over ctrl-clicking. Just personal preference.

one thing that i think people overlook (or maybe this does exist and i’m oblivious to it) is that xjadeo can not show a ‘filmstrip’ type view of the video along with the audio tracks. yes, you can use it to playback and see how things sync up, but you can’t get the big picture: “see that scene starting there with the explosions? look at the changes in sound there.”

I really appreciate the possibility of seeing OMF implemented. It is crucial for doing audio-to-picture editing.

My chosen tool for video editing is made by Avid. And I happened to stumble across the Ardour pages while doing some research.

OMF import done right will make Ardour stand out from the croud and attract people from the video business.

AAF will be the next logical step as well as MXF. AAF builds on the foundation done by OMF, but has a much wider support. MXF is a subset of AAF. For anyone not familiar with these three letter words, AAF is designed to move whole projects ( “timelines” ) from one application to another, with or without the actual mediafiles embedded. MXF is a subset meant for aquisition or playout - e.g. no “timeline” information. This is just a simplified explanation. There are possibilities to mix these standards in such a way it it becomes a real mess to explain :slight_smile: Both AAF and MXF have their own websites with a lot of explanation.

I have not been able to find out what video formats Ardour support for playalong. The videoformat should support wievable picture during scrubbing and frame by frame advancing without becoming pixelated.

Another idea to look at would be to get Ardour into the Ubuntu repository so installation can be done with no hassle at all. That is probably easier than making a special distro with Ardour included.

I am going to try to install Ardour on Ubuntu Desktop running under WMWare. Hope I can make it work for poking around in the system.

Regards,

Oceanwatcher

I’d second the plea for beat detection. Also pitch correction would be wonderful.

Another thing I miss is the ability to keychain plugins (like having a kick trigger the compressor on a bass) - maybe it’s already doable, and I just didn’t find out how :slight_smile:

Regards

Sidechains are a happy side-effect of the MIDI stuff from last year. They will likely become user-visible whenever instrument plugins do.

There are several compressors with the sidechain feature already available. There is just no way to wire it correctly with Ardour’s current linear plugin setup. (Hence the interest in a node based graph editor)

This does bring up an interesting point though. I’ve always thought of the graph editor on a per channel basis. (i.e. the graph editor only shows plugins and connections for the current track) but for something like a sidechain compressor, you would need the ability to patch into a source from another track.

[beat detection] is something that was submitted last year, it would be great to see that happen. especially since the fundamental technology (libaubio) already exists.
I've mentioned this before, but for this kind of thing you might consider making using Vamp plugins.

Chris

harold/mellifluent life:

That’s what I like to hear :slight_smile:

I am applying again this year, and hope to complete the UI for last year’s MIDI project this time around. The scope of what can be done will probably be just a piano roll editor for now, and the ability to add notes, apply operations (e.g. quantize) to the selection… etc.

Top priority (rather than a big feature list) is to get the bread & butter of MIDI editing solid and in SVN trunk (and used!), as soon as possible after the SoC is finished.

Gonna toss out a few ideas at once, not all of them I am even sure SHOULD be done, much less should be any sort of priority, not that my opinion really matters on priorities;)

Put in a vote for a good ambisonics based multichannel panner like has been tossed around on the mailing lists a few times;)

Also support for OSC probably wouldn’t be a bad thing.

I personally wouldn’t mind a few of the mechanisms discussed for theater playback on Ardour on LAU recently, but obviously I don’t think that one is going to happen;) Trying to cover to many bases at once can be a bad thing obviously.

Though complete seperation of GUI and engine would allow for the above to happen a bit easier, by redesigning the GUI and implementing seperate timeline control it could be possible for someone else to design it based off the same engine, but most of the GUI work would stay seperate, which I think would be ideal, especially given that then work could be done editing cues inside the program itself. I believe that one is on the plate for a future release.

And I am going to toss out a request for video tracks as well, though again not sure on my opinion on it as apparently XJadeo does well though I haven’t used it but so much. Can Ardour seperate the audio from a video file that XJadeo is playing and use that?

Seablade

I implemented graphviz-using automatic layout in FlowCanvas yesterday, which should be helpful for making a connection UI in Ardour that isn’t too fiddly.

The biggest missing thing in FlowCanvas itself that would be sorely missing in Ardour is easily making multiple connections at once (Patchage would hugely benefit from this too, I just havn’t gotten around to it yet…)

More than happy to update FlowCanvas as necessary though, if anyone does anything with it.

-latency compensation for send-returns.
At the moment latency is compensated for by sliding the track, but that doesn’t work correctly when you have a send originating after plugins or external inserts.

-“ping” feature to measure and compensate the latency of external units or plugins that don’t report it.

-A more intelligent solo function that looks at the routing.

-A combination of FFT view and object based editing would allow you to use a lasso tool to select any sound and apply effects, cut/copy/paste etc, just to that area.
(as discussed elseware VAMP could be used to implement the FFT and visualisation, but Clam also looks promising, see clam.iua.upf.edu.)

-screensets

-folder tracks

-ability to set pan law per channel.

If the Ardour control surface isnt outside the realm of this project, I would love to become involved. I am an Electrical Engineering Technologist with a specialization in electronics relating to audio and I am always looking for cool projects to become involved with. I have always wanted some way to contribute to Ardour, but I always thought I was too much of a hardware guy to be of much help.

-Peace

the problem with control surface projects is that the core of the work is already done. on the h/w side, we have the fabulous midibox project; on the s/w side, ardour has supported generic MIDI CC control for a long time and now supports most or all of Mackie Control Protocol.

These are a couple of ideas that could fit well into summer’s projects:

• Beat detection: "the answer to the nightmare of drums recording" Something that ardour is lacking are means to do beat detection and conform regions to a grid. One rather simple tool of a commercial daw soft is the "Tab-to-transient" feature, this moves the edit cursor to the next transient on the selected track, this way you can for instance follow a drummers track, splice the region in order to separate the beats and, once finished you could select the spliced regions and conform them to a 4/4 16th grid for instance.

… if only freecycle could be linked somehow to an ardour track …

• Multiple persistent clipboards: Some other daw soft has borrowed this feature which comes originally from a video editing software. The concept is simple, you can create an amount of "clipboards" which can contain several entities, be them a set of plugins, tracks settings, automation data ... this clipboards belong to the application and are therefore persistent (they're saved to disk), and they can contain whatever might be copied. This way you could for instance save into a clipboard an empty track with the plugins you use the most, give it a meningful name and later, on a new session recall this persistent clipboard and paste the tracks from this clipoard on your new session. Same stuff with plugins, you can create a chain of plugins with particular settings that can be added (pasted) at any time to any track.
  • your second item is in mantis as #1209 - template components.

the first idea is something that was submitted last year, it would be great to see that happen. especially since the fundamental technology (libaubio) already exists.

Hmm ImpuseTracker ? Velocity and all can be automated give it a break ?

Pianoroll gui style editor it is all wee need for now ?
    Wanna get an ImpulseTraker with Pianoroll yeah… there it is another open source with that in mind allready!

Before bubbling around with hall of features let it continue the last year Summer Code that mean MIDI and Midi editor like all midi editor

Even on the playstation it is comming some Music Apps that are Traxxpad and Beatrator (or what it is his name)

First focus let it bee Pianoroll style midi editor gui and some tools !

Second Beat slincin/Beat finder etc

This are the things that give the power of creeating music not just mixing sound

Okay ?

Plugins ?

Okay for music composition wee need a couple of plugin and they are the Instrument plugin :

• 1 advanced sampler (needed badly wen comes the midi creation) (wav support rest soundfont2 and other mai came along wee need for start just a sampler simplier with volume control ,panning,analog filter,key maping of samples (or not wee have ladspa))

This it is the plugin wee need it to bee very stable I Mean VERY stable ! It will be used all the time so need it to be NATIVE

• 1 a synth plugin basic one for the techno mumbo jumbos :slight_smile: and bass lines (this it is no priority the sampler is the needed ! I can make a synth with a sampler so … :smiley: wee need that sampler)

I can live with ladspa plugins automated with Midi instrument (sampler) and the actual Ardour2 features so ?

I think this are the main things Midi editor gui etc ,and main Advanced Sampler (not to hard to do,map a wav file to a note ? hmm it is just like the editig thing)

And last if will be time the Video track (i think it is more easy to do and let the hard part and important one to be first we have an app that plays the video in sync with jack …so wee can stuck one it until midi part it is finished)

I wanna use Ardour with Blender3d,I`ve read that Blender will get the 3d Audio in this summer and other things (Hope so)

I have no possibilty to buy an real DAW software , tired about using demo software and mumbo jumbos

I hope my ideeas are welcome and fit in!

I can beta test the app if it is needed to report bugs etc

Maybe someone inform me haw can i sqash some bug “log” when i digg one and send it!

MIDI editing GUI is definitely the thing that Ardour misses. However, it could be nice to create a new (and more efficient) GUI for midi editing rather than using typical piano-rolls (like Blender does for the 3D editing GUI). Why not having a mix between the old trackers GUI (i.e. ImpulseTracker) and piano-rolls (i.e. to keep note length and velocity updatable quickly)?