Getting Tags on the WAV Files...

I finally got my project files exported to WAV files, and now I want to put tags on the finished products before I put them on a CD. However, I can’t seem to get the tags to hold to the files. I have tried multiple GUI-type tag editing programs, and a CLI one (id3), neither of which seems to work. Is there some sort of special parameter I need to get tags on to a WAV file? I thought it was possible, but maybe I’m wrong. All I want is title, and artist, but album, year, and track number would be nice as well. Any help?

Thanks,
Dan

ID3 tags in Wav files are a big no-go (it breaks the container). I think I have heard there is a standard for supporting limited ID tags in wavs, but it doesn’t co-operate with ID3 tags.

OK, I guess maybe I’m thinking of the wrong terminology. I know there’s a way to tag WAV files so that when you put them on a CD and load them on another computer, the correct artist, album and track names appear. Right now I get some really random stuff when I put the CD in my other computer. How do I set that up?

-Dan

if you import the wav file in audacity and export it as wav right away (without audio processing), a popup window will appear where you can fill in different fields (tag stuff).

EDIT: never tried it myself so I gave it a try … it seems to work (no complains) but when you inspect the tag from another application, there’s nothing … so it is probably not a solution :frowning:

There is no standard for tagging wav files.

However, you indicated the whole purpose was for burning to CD. There is a standard called CD-text where text information about the CD is stored in the lead in area, and text info about the individual track is stored in sub-channels R through W.

If this is what you are talking about, you don’t embed info in the wav files, but rather you supply this info to the program used to burn the CD. K3b supports this feature.

Beware that this is an extension to the Red Book, so cheap crappy CD players sometimes flip out when trying to play them.

I think what you’re thinking of is possibly CDDB information, which is an online service that can be freely queried. A unique hash is calculated based on information on the disc (similar to the way md5sums are calculated). Your CD playing program then queries this hash against the online databse which returns track information. In your case you’re far better off using CD-text, which most computers will also recognise, because you’re (presumably) not releasing a massive commercial cd t be sold the world over. On the other hand if it’s a final CD to be sold, you can submit your own CDDB entry.
Thanks
Dan