getting ArdourXchange for Linux

Hello,

Is there any way to get ArdourXchange other than buying Indamixx’s Transmission distro? I read it’s available in 64 Studio, but a search of their site turns up nothing. Does the developer sell it to individuals, or just OEM’s? I want to get away from Mac OS/Pro Tools, but I do have some old Pro Tools 7.x sessions I’d like to keep.

Thanks,

Paul

you can of course try to transfer your sessions via aatranslator…
but like i figured it out, ardourXchange at least for now just exists in combination with the transmission distro… I have one distro just for that which feels a bit like waste of money and resources because i just use it for getting .aaf s to ardour…

Hmm, looks like AATranslator is about $10 more than the Transmission download, unless AAT is priced in Australian $; I’ll have to go back and check. Is there an advantage of one over the other? Do you dislike Transmission? I’m going to end up paying for one or the other; makes more sense to get several months of support for a whole distro than just the use of one app

~PD

@pauldeshaw: the main difference is that AAT covers a lot more cases than ArdourXchange and may be useful to you for other conversions too.

@ pauldeshaw,
yes paul is right, aatranslator is much more flexible, although for my specific case i needed the Xchange,

no i dont dislike the transmission project, i just work more comfortably on a “regular” open distro like studio , dream or avlinux… and so i need transmission just for converting,… so i need to convert embedded .aaf s from avid and that works perfect for me with Xchange… also for aatranslator: just send them a mail and they can tell you if it works for your specific workflow and then buy it, so you have no risk…

@ pauldeshaw,

As calimerox suggests send me an email via the AAT site and we will work something out that suits your needs

And as a sideline we will probably end up dragging ourselves into another Didgy (or is that Dodgy) format like AAF once we manage to clear the backlog of things on our list.

On 6th Apr 2011 pauldeshaw wrote: " Is there any way to get ArdourXchange other than buying Indamixx's Transmission distro? "

pauldeshaw - Mixbus supports ArdourXchange and is now available for Linux users as well as those on the Mac platform I believe. If I was going to spend some money I’d spend it on Mixbus, rather than buying Transmission or AATranslator. Not only will you get a more polished DAW than the one you’re used to with Indamixx, but you’ll also be able to transfer your ArdourXchange license FOC. Plus of course, you’ll inherently be making a contribution to the Ardour project so everyone’s a winner!

Having said that, I couldn’t find your details this morning when I checked my list of ArdourXchange users. Admittedly, there are over 700 licenses to check but I couldn’t find your name among them. Is it possible you registered using some other name?

John

“Mixbus supports ArdourXchange and is now available for Linux users as well as those on the Mac platform I believe.”

thats very good news! :slight_smile: