Gentoo, CFLAGS, gcc version && glibc version for ardour2?

Hello fellow Gentooers,

I was wondering what kind of CFLAGS are you running/compiling your audio machines with. It would be great to have also gcc and glibc versions.
In my Gentoo boxes ardour2 crashes quite often while doing simple things (like jumping from one place to another rather frequently while playing with tap-plugins on ) and, as I haven’t seen this kind of problems in the forums, my bet is that the answer is “right place, right time, wrong universe” on its Gentoo equivalent that is “wrong choose of CFLAGS, gcc and glibc versions”.

hero goes mine, don’t laugh too hard :slight_smile:

glibc:

GNU C Library development release version 2.4, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright © 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.4.5 (Gentoo 3.4.5, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.11 system on 2006-08-11.
Available extensions:
The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
GNU libio by Per Bothner
NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc core.
BIND-8.2.3-T5B
Thread-local storage support included.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html.

gcc:
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-4.1.1/work/gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/include/g+±v4 --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --disable-multilib --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-languages=c,c++,java,objc,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1)

CFLAGS:"-O3 -march=pentium4 -pipe -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse,387 -fomit-frame-pointer -fthread-jumps -fforce-addr -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -fexpensive-optimizations -falign-functions=4 -falign-jumps=4"

Thanks in advance!

You should not attempt to set CFLAGS when compiling Ardour.
Two reasons: (1) we control the horizontal, we control the vertical, please do not adjust your TV set. (2) its not necessarily true that we honor CFLAGS anyway. Ardour’s build system already comes with a very specific set of optimization flags, and we do not recommend that you try to second guess what we have decided works best for now. Do feel free to try to persuade us that our choices are wrong however.

If Ardour is crashing for you, you should read http://ardour.org/debugging_ardour and help us fix it. Its not really that likely that your compiler flags are an issue, but its not impossible either.

Hi,

I use pretty much the default CFLAGs comment in my gentoo installation, and I don’t have those issues with ardour2

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe" (for athlon64 32 bit build)

For an ebuild that leaves choosing configuration options, down to correct USE flags in either /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use or possibly as a command line issues statement.

For compiling from downloaded source and compiled manually, the choices are made in the configure script.

Hopefully that leaves the options open to let the ardour devs pick the best CFLAGS open for runnning the devs choices without being overridden by the gentoo system. It seems to work well on my system.

cheers

Sheesh, those flags are nuts! Please see the list of safe flags to use and stick with them. Gentoo is great (I use it myself), but the whole “compiles make software faster” mentality that many people hold is pretty much unfounded in most cases. =P

Stick some more conservative flags in your make.conf

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

I hope that helps. =]