From audio to midi

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to convert an audio track into a midi one ?AAfter recording something from my midi keyboard I would like to be able to modify the notes. I’ve seen this on Ableton so I’m curious.

To do so the audio has to be analyzed and the notes that were played have to be transcribed as MIDI.
In particular for polyphonic audio, this is usually an offline process (not realtime, live processing).

In the free/libre software universe: Sonic Visualizer and Vamp Plugins are the go-to solution.

Ardour 5.12 comes with a Lua script to use a Vamp plugin and run analysis, it’s still somewhat cumbersome, and results vary depending on the source material…

6 Likes

This script works really well; accuracy is way beyond the way I was doing it before this (gxtuner).
Thanks Robin

1 Like

Thank you that was really helpful!

Hello Robin
I cant see this script in ardour 6.3

Right-click on any of the Actionscript buttons (top-right in the main toolbar). it should be listed there:

Ardour 6 by default shows four assignable script launch buttons. unless you have copied Ardour 5’s defaults in which case you’ll have to use Preferences > Appearance > Toolbar > Display Action Buttons

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.