Forcing notes to n midi channels from a single track

I am working on a composition with a Roland hardware synth hooked up to Ardour.

On the Roland I have a performance with 15 patches with different instruments on them. Each patch is on a specific midi channel. Let’s say I have violin on channel 1, cello on channel 2 and some horns on channel 3.

I have some chords on a midi track in Ardour. All of the notes have been recorded on once channel - say channel 1.

What I would like to do is to route the notes in playback from this single channel to a selected number of channels on the synth - for example to get that one track to play the same notes on channels 1, 2 and 3. While working I would like to switch between channels easily - how about I include the horns and cello or perhaps woodwinds on channel 9 for this part…

What I have done so far is that I route the midi output of the track to another track, force the input notes to one channel and then force the output on the same channel. So I have a dummy track for each additional channel I want to use.

There is probably a better way to do this. I looked at MIDI busses but could not quite figure them out. Perhaps a plugin?

Midi Matrix

This works well with ZYN (16 midi channels). I’ve inserted different presets to all 16 channels. I don’t know how matrix will play with your instrument, but in my case ZYN FUSION works fine:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.