Foot controllers and shortcuts

Hi there!

Whenever I recorded some stuff I noticed a long-winded handling of ardour because of a missing good interface. This is not ardour to blame, it’s a problem with PCs in general. It is some kind of annoying to do keystrokes or mouse clicks if you have e.g. a guitar in your hands. So, my idea is the following:

I’d like to have a foot controller (to be more precise: some switches) that let me control a few actions. The main goal is to start recordings and - if a recording wasn’t that good - stop and delete the recording and jump back to the point before the recording. Hearing some playback before recording the next take would be a good one as well.

My first idea was to use a cheap (PC-)keyboard, solder some switches on it and send defined keystrokes to ardour. I don’t know if there is a perfect solution out there already. If that is the case I’d be very happy if somone could post a link.

Mario

Mario there are absolutely USB devices that provide MIDI. Heck half of MIDI devices that connect to a computer through USB are really just these bridges built into the device itself. As should be obvious from my previous statement, there are also MIDI devices that connect to a computer through USB as well.

Price ranges depending on what you are looking at obviously.

Seablade

Why not look into a MIDI solution since you can bind MIDI signals to transport controls?

Seablade

First of all I am working on a Notebook that hasn’t got a MIDI connector. I’m not shure if you can connect any MIDI solution via USB or something. If that is the solution I’d be happy with it. Unfortunately I don’t know any kind of solution, that’s why I posted my question.

Thanks for the link, Ben. Quite expensive but a good point to start with.

Thanks for your comment, seablade.

As I couldn’t find an inexpensive controller for my needs, I decided to build my own. Yesterday I bought a cheap keyboard (6,50 Euros) and wrote down the key matrix. The current state of this project is still “proof of concept” but I am confident of getting this thing to work. I’ll get some pieces of wood and a few switches if it’s going to work well.

I’m having a problem with a little feature at the moment. What I’d like to have is a switch that stops and discards the last recording (which is already there as ctrl+space). But furthermore I want the transport marker (sorry, I don’t know the correct englich term for that vertical red line) to jump back to the point where it was before I started the last recording.

Any ideas?

Oh my goodness! I just discovered the option “transport -> auto return”. Sometimes you miss the wood for the trees.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Keyboard_Encoders

Hello Ben,

thanks for your comment but these controllers start at 80 bucks. This price is more than inacceptable. My cheap Keyboard does the same and it was 6,50!

I nearly finished my foot controller. It is not in “proof of concept” state anymore, it just works. I made a wooden case myself and bought six foot switches (pro quality, 6 Euros each). After all I got the controller I wanted and it does EXACTLY what I want it to do.

great Mario. A picture ? I am curious to see that :slight_smile:

Gimme a few days, thorgal. I’ll take some pictures if the case is completly finished.

I’d love to hear how it works, in practice. Do you find yourself still using the keyboard/mouse a lot? Is 6 enough? too many?

I’m thinking about making my own box with the U-HID or U-HID nano ($35) … they are a little more expensive than a keyboard, but they are smaller and could support analog inputs such as a footpedal or jog wheel if I wanted to do that in the future.

-Ben

After a few days of DIY torture, here are the promised pictures. I sanded the whole box, primed and painted it just to realize that it looks …eeehm… not that good. It took me ages to sand the whole stuff again. I am unsure if I leave the box in the current state. It doesn’t look too bad but there are some areas where you can see the white filler.

Here we go:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

@Ben
Your question is not easy to be answered, because I built something to get rid off the keyboard in a special case. I just want to record a new take if the first one wasn’t that good (and a third one if the second one still wasn’t good…). Therefore I’d be happy with only two buttons. And yes, it works very well in practice. I decided to add some more buttons just to have some extra functions. I guess that more than six buttons doesn’t make the whole thing easier to handle. But that’s just my opinion.