Font problem

when i start ardour i jut see squares. i changed the language to english (i’m swiss-german) but the squares are still here.
i copied the console-output. may there is a problem with unicode? my system is a macbook pro with os x leopard.

31.01.08 12:38:25 [0x0-0x2e02e].org.ardour.Ardour2[292] (ardour:293): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is ‘Lucida Grande 10.9990234375’
31.01.08 12:38:25 [0x0-0x2e02e].org.ardour.Ardour2[292] (ardour:293): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called with bad font, expect ugly output

Sounds like a problem with Leopard’s X11. There have been several different Leopard X11 problems (Apple have even “dumped” the development off into its own independent open source project, and there have been several upgrades since then). Personally, I would just wait for the native version unless you don’t mind messing around with newer versions of the Leopard X11.app.

paul: In the wilber-loves-apple GIMP project we’ve found that X11 on Leopard works just fine if you install the updates from the open-source project so I think it’s rather safe for users to do so - the only real change that’s needed is the launching process (which is actually easier than before, just a shame they didn’t keep backwards compatibility)

I have also seen this font problem appear when putting the program in a path with weird characters in it (like “/” or “&”, etc.)

yes, its true that the path problem is a known one, and i should have asked about that. we handled paths with spaces in a couple of years back.

muchach0: where did you install Ardour?

Auria, we’ve fixed the startup script too, but we haven’t had the manpower to get a new X11 DMG out there.

i tried the thing with the new x11 version (2.1.3). it displays the most of the characters now, but not all.
the console-out is still the same, but now it misses the font ‘luciada Grande Semi-bold’… weird:
04.02.08 21:47:26 [0x0-0x1d01d].org.ardour.Ardour2[223] (ardour:224): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending font is ‘Lucida Grande Semi-Bold 10.9990234375’
04.02.08 21:47:26 [0x0-0x1d01d].org.ardour.Ardour2[223] (ardour:224): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called with bad font, expect ugly output

I’m also having the same problem with the font, but I still haven’t gotten Ardour to work. Here’s what I got: (check out my other forum posting for my Console output and screenshot of the “squarish-looking text”.

http://ardour.org/node/1644

What can I do? I would prefer not to wait for the native to come out as I am an active Music Technology student and would very much like to use this program in the studios. I have Leopard 10.5.2 and X11 2.1.4 - (xorg-server 1.3.0-apple5) from XQuartz (http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/Releases).

Well, I have no idea what to do. I’d really like to use this program for some mixes, but right now I’m kind of struggling with getting it to run. I think that this program could prove to be very useful for college students going into the music technology industry, and I will be sure to recommend it to my friends, however I am finding it a little complex to get it running and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
-Kyle