Font issue produces segfault

Several days ago I made a modification to the fedora 19 font system (installed freetype-freeworld) to get M$ new fonts to render better. I also installed several “new” fonts. Now Ardour cannot open or create a session. the following messages are produced:

Sep  5 11:59:17 da kernel: [ 7255.682661] ardour-3.4[5944]: segfault at 8 ip 00007ff7ecde523e sp 00007fff4c6b58a0 error 4 in[7ff7ecdc6000+3d000]
Sep  5 11:59:19 da abrtd: Directory 'ccpp-2013-09-05-11:59:18-5944' creation detected
Sep  5 11:59:19 da abrt[5971]: Saved core dump of pid 5944 (/opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/bin/ardour-3.4) to /var/tmp/abrt/ccpp-2013-09-05-11:59:18-5944 (93687808 bytes)
Sep  5 11:59:19 da abrtd: Can't load public GPG key /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
Sep  5 11:59:19 da abrtd: Executable '/opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/bin/ardour-3.4' doesn't belong to any package and ProcessUnpackaged is set to 'no'

Should I just uninstall freetype-freeworld?


Sorry, I needed to provide more specific system information.

uname command
Linux xxx.xxxxxx 3.10.10-200.fc19.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 19:05:45 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

free command
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 6011476 2655176 3356300 0 324160 1099464
-/+ buffers/cache: 1231552 4779924
Swap: 8093692 0 8093692

file command
/opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/bin/ardour-3.4: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, not stripped

locate command

I have erased all freetype packages, disabled many fonts and rebooted. Still get segfaults.

If you use ardour from, all necessary libraries are included and it does not use your system font libraries. It does use your system fonts, and this is a known problem with some versions of fedora (and a couple of other distributions).

It might be helpful to file a bug containing a backtrace (see for instructions on how to generate one). and then i’d try uninstalling freetype-freeworld to see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I ran it with the debugger and found the problem. An error in the following font config file seems to create problems.


Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

I deleted the file, 10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf, as recommended in an Arch Linux post with similar problems. Ardour starts fine now. This is good as I just got a project composing music for short videos. I’ve been wanting to try this out.

Thanks for your help and work on a great audio recording tool!