Fluidsynth issue

I’m using Ardour 5.12, and I’m having a frustrating issue.

When I load an .sf2 file in a-fluidsynth, it will play the sound I want for precisely one note and then flip back to some sort of default setting. C1 appears to be the problem. I switch it back to the sound I want, close it, it plays it for one note, then flips back to what it was before. I delete the fluidsynth plugin and add another one and try again, it does the same stupid thing. I’m about ready to murder my laptop.

Basically at this point I can’t play a midi track using the soundfont of my choice.

Very likely the MIDI region contains a patch-change message, so when you play the track the synth is asked to change the program.

Could this be the case? https://manual.ardour.org/working-with-midi/patch-change/

If so, delete it: In “internal edit mode” (press ‘e’) shift+right-click on the patch/program change.

Thanks for your reply, Robin.

I don’t think that’s the issue. I definitely didn’t create a patch change on purpose, and when I zoom in on the midi track I see no indication that there is one.

Perhaps some more information would be useful.

I’m recording a song. It’s mostly live instruments recorded to a click, but we wanted to have an organ in the mix, so I wrote a midi file and imported it to Ardour. Ardour automatically applied a “reasonable synth” to it. I deleted that plug-in and inserted a fluidsynth plugin. Then I started exploring various Organ soundfont files to see which one sounded right for the mix.

At first, there were no issues. I tried a handful of organs and none of them were quite what I was looking for. Then, as I tried more soundfonts, the issue started cropping up. I would pick a new soundfont and be like “huh, that’s weird - it sounds EXACTLY like the last soundfont.” Pick a new one, it ALSO sounds EXACTLY like that antepenultimate soundfont. That’s when I clued in that it was reverting back to my previous choice.

I deleted the fluidsynth plugin and started over, and the issue went away for a bit. Then it came back, but I deleted the plugin and started over again and it let me win.

I ended up finding two organ sounds I was rather fond of, and one worked better in one part of the song, and one worked better in another part. So I duplicated the midi track and set it up so that one was playing Soundfont A, and one was playing Soundfont B. Great.

But there were still a few soundfont files I wanted to try out. I was worried at this point about losing my progress, since I was having to fight Ardour about what sounds to play, so instead of trying new soundfonts on the existing tracks, I duplicated the midi track containing Soundfont A again, creating a third midi track for me to try out sounds on.

Turns out I found a soundfont I think (hard to tell since I can’t listen to it for very long) I like even better - Soundfont C. Except every time I try to play Soundfont C, it plays for one note and then reverts to Soundfont A against my express wishes.

I’ve tried all sorts of things, deleting and re-inserting the plugin many times, deleting and re-importing the duplicated midi track, etc, and nothing works. It absolutely will not play Soundfont C without reverting immediately back to Soundfont A.

At this point I am prepared to simply accept that Soundfonts A and B are my soundfonts, possibly to the detriment of our song. But I’d rather figure out why this is happening and fix it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.