Fix recorded audio with gaps(?)

I made a recording using OBS with the audio coming out all garbled and the audio wave looking like this:

It may not be clear from the screenshot but there regular gaps in the sound wave. I’m not quite sure what could’ve caused this, my best guess it that the hardware was set to a lower sampling rate than the recording software; I checked and did test recordings before and afterwards, both were set to 48kHz and both came out fine. It was an 1h+ live recording of a lecture so doing another take is not an option.

Is there any way to salvage this? If not, any ideas what could’ve caused it so I know what to watch out for next time?

If there is audio missing in the gaps then nothing can bring it back, sorry.

Yes the key is, is audio missing or not.

If there isn’t audio missing, just silence inserted, then you can just remove the silence (In fact my memory is there is a function named ‘remove silence’ for this purpose:)

If audio is missing, no option to bring it back but to re-record, sorry.

Having just done some fairly extensive work on OBS, it is a great system that I only trust after testing each day:)

Seablade

Its often normal practice to use multiple recording applications / systems, to different media, for mission-critical live recordings for this very reason (though not very helpful after the event unfortunately). Like most technology, live recording works absolutely perfectly, until you actually need it to.

Amen.

Seablade

^^ Who has been dealing with capturing on 13 different machines and 13 different setups for the past 3 weeks, and has come to despise technology and all the things that can go wrong with it as a result… and is now going into Post to try to fix half the screwups.

“Remove silence” option was what I was looking for, cheers. Now I need to close the gaps between all the regions by moving them, not by inserting silence in between them, which is what “combine”, “close gaps” and “consolidate” all do. Are there any other functions that would achieve what I’m trying to do?

Like most technology, live recording works absolutely perfectly, until you actually need it to.

Oh believe me, I’ve been burned by this before. The real question is, how many more times do I have to experience this before I learn! :wink:

Who has been dealing with capturing on 13 different machines and 13 different setups for the past 3 weeks, and has come to despise technology and all the things that can go wrong with it as a result… and is now going into Post to try to fix half the screwups.

Honestly, what I hate most is unexpected screw-ups caused by undocumented, opaque or just obscure functionality of the equipment. Whenever I have a piece of software automagically adjust some config, and especially when it screws with my current setup, I go into blind fit of rage.

That was the brand new DSLR camera we had and were planning on using the first night. The DP had just gotten it and expected it to work fine, but apparently when set to custom settings it will reset any setting you change after an unspecified amount of time with no user input. In other words custom settings on it are completely useless as no camera should EVER do that.

It was not a good way to start this process and that was one of the few pieces of equipment I actually had control over.

Seablade

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.