First steps with Ardour

Hi everyone, new around here.

I’ve been using FOSS for the last 15 years, mainly for development, academia, and the like.

Finished my first few hours trying to lay down a few tracks on Ardour. Recorded a little piece, mainly guitar, straight to desk, all amp and effect Sims using Guitarix plugins on the effects section (so the main takes are basically clean).

My aim was to try and get some Blackface Fender Amp-like tones, and some Vox-ish tones as well. Really liked what I was hearing, so I thought I’d give it a try at recording. I’m using an Edirol UA-25 interface with an i5 8Gb SSD loaded Lenovo T430, running Linux generic 4.4 kernel, using low latency parameters for memory locks and scheduling priority. Everything works smoothly, no XRuns. Very happy with the experience.

So here goes, not great playing, but I had a great time recording this. Hope you enjoy it: https://soundcloud.com/carlosmmarques/orange-sunset

Had a great time using Ardour, and I’ll definitely be using it a lot more in the future. :slight_smile:

@tubeholic: Thanks for the track. Sounds good and like the tone you got on that guitar.

@dsreyes1014: Thanks for the comment. :slight_smile:

You know, I’m still kind of amazed at Ardour, how easy it was to setup, and how well it performs. And how polished and professional it looks.

Great stuff!