Firewire audio issue with phonic firewire 24MKII, so close, please help!

I just installed ubuntustudio to my old dell latitude d505, another attempt to get ubuntustudio working for me, I really want to stop using windows for audio. I have the phonic firewire24MKII mixer, and in the past I have gotten it to work with ubuntu but not in a while.
I have edited the permissions file to allow raw1394 access by the audio group, of which I am a member.
I have edited the security limits file to allow rt priority 99, nice -10, memlock 256

Here’s the jack output, it is the same whether using my built in 4 pin firewire port or my external TI firewire PCMCIA card:

13:46:19.888 JACK is starting…
13:46:19.889 /usr/bin/jackd -v -R -P70 -dfirewire -dplughw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n3 -i16 -o2
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_net.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_firewire.so
13:46:19.902 JACK was started with PID=2003.
no message buffer overruns
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_freebob.so
jackd 0.116.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
server default' registered cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory) registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio registered builtin port type 8 bit raw midi clock source = system clock via clock_gettime start poll on 3 fd's loading driver .. JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory firewire ERR: Error creating FFADO streaming device cannot load driver module firewire new client: firewire_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8092f58 fd = -1 new buffer size 1024 starting server engine shutdown freeing shared port segments stopping server thread 00380435771: (ffado.cpp)[ 92] ffado_streaming_init: libffado 1.999.43 built Sep 17 2009 20:03:51 last xrun delay: 0.000 usecs max delay reported by backend: 0.000 usecs freeing engine shared memory max usecs: 0.000, engine deleted cleaning up shared memory cleaning up files unregistering serverdefault’
no message buffer overruns
13:46:19.962 JACK was stopped successfully.
13:46:19.963 Post-shutdown script…
13:46:19.964 killall jackd
jackd: no process found
13:46:20.374 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
13:46:22.080 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

I can get this mixer to work well in puppy linux on the same computer, but in puppy you run as root, so I am sure it is a permission thing, not hardware.
If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate the help.

The ubuntustudio install is 9.10, installed via regular ubuntu then addidng the ubuntustudio packages through synaptic.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

from this message:

“cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)”
“JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory”

i propably think you didn’t unlock the memory.
Could you post your limits.conf file??

ist there a line called:

@audio - memlock unlimited

When using Ubuntustudio there is also the Studio Contols Panel i think, where you also can unlock the memory.

Hope this helps you.

Actually, I fixed that issue- that was the old ID10T error- memlock 512 is NOT the same as 512000…
However, now I have discovered that using the onboard firewire port, everything works perfectly, but using my pcmcia coolgear TI chipset firewire card it is not working. Same on my IBM t60, so I am going to see if I can try a few different cards and see if anything works.

EDIT: Now working on my t60, which for the moment is a plain old ubuntu install. That may change though, or at least I’ll get the rt kernel and a few other assorted music programs installed. The card uses ohci1394, and when I added that to the rules file to give ohci1394 access by the audio group, it worked. I still can’t get it to work on my dell, but the dell is not intended for music anyway, so I guess it will be pressed back into service as my work computer and my IBM will be strictly music.