I used Ardour 2 a bit, and then 3, but switched to mostly using Bitwig for the last few years. I’m making an attempt to come back in to the fold, and although I know that Ardour is super powerful (and seems much more stable than when I last used it, although that might be because the Calf plugins are more stable), I’m not finding it super easy to find my way around. So I figured I’d give a bunch of feedback - some of it will turn in to bugs/feature requests, some of it will be support requests, but it will all be UI/UX focussed.
I would encourage anyone else having UI/UX difficulties to contribute to this thread.
- First thing I hit is quick-changing of tools. It is not immediately clear which tools are for what actions. It's also not clear what tools are relevant for what modes. Key bindings are not obvious.
- rgh in irc pointed out that G=grab, D=Draw, E=Edit, and that midi = E or D, and region = G and R. C=Cut and T=Stretch also both appear drop in to render mode. Not really sure what "Internal edit mode" does, and I can't find it's key binding, either.
- This cluster of keys is quite nice.
- it might be good to split the tools into "region mode" and "edit mode" groups, with a space/divider in between.
- It would also be good to include the key bindings in the tool tips.
- Scrolling around MIDI (vertically) is quite hard.
- It would be nice to have the Tab key bound to Editor/Mixer switching. haven't checked if it's possible yet.
- F zooms to the selected track, which is nice, but there's no way to get back to "view all tracks" or similar (make all tracks small).
- ... also, if I select two tracks that are not adjacent, then press F, I totally lose the track in the middle??
- Shift+_ is cool (reset horizontal zoom), but it's not obvious as a new-comer what the end marker is for (why not just have it zoom to fit all content?), or why it is set where it is in a new project.