extracted the ardour-2.8.tar.bz2 file, now what....? What file should i run?

Here is my output when i ask yum to list the python i have.

[root@localhost ardour-2.8]# yum list python
python.ppc 2.4.3-21.ydl6.1 installed
python-devel.ppc 2.4.3-21.ydl6.1 installed

yum seems to have arour 0.99 available.
IF it still does’nt work i’m going to tell yum to install the older version of ardour and when it looks for dependencies i’m gonna write does down. It’s compliing again as i type.

Yes i really am a linux rookie. only reason i have the patience for this, i’m almost 24 and when started using pcs windows did not exsist i learned dos using an old Tutordos program off 3 floppys way back when i was 7-ish.

When i had my stint in college i learned a bit about unix programming it took patience so now i have loads of it.

I just wish this distro was faster it seems super-sluggish to me even though the CELL B.E. is 3.2GHz and is dual core with 6 spe that i can control it seems like the os is not even using the 6 spes, i wish i was good with programming it would try to optimize but i don’t have those skills yet.

Thanks again, waiting on compiling …

it failed again, I think i may have found the route of the issue. somthing called winegcc

winegcc -o libs/fst/fst.o -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fstrength-red
sh: winegcc: command not found
scons: *** [libs/fst/fst.o] Error 127
scons: building terminated because of errors.
[root@localhost ardour-2.8]#

my yum does not find it, hmm…

well i started to install the old ardour just to get depencies got the following
i’m almost tempted to get the old version. just to see if it operates with the CELL architecture or not.

===============================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size

Installing:
ardour ppc 0.99.3-8.fc6 fedora-extras 2.7 M
Installing for dependencies:
gdk-pixbuf ppc 1:0.22.0-25 base 258 k
glib ppc 1:1.2.10-20 base 152 k
gtk+ ppc 1:1.2.10-56 base 1.0 M

Transaction Summary

Install 4 Package(s)

i did’nt do it yet i’m going to compile again with the 3 new packages added and watch what happens.

Wine is the program that lets you run Windows programs in linux (and some VST-plugins i Ardour)
I really doubt you can do that on a PS3 so I think you should run scons with VST=0 to avoid using wine.

tried again with the command as follows

scons LV2=1 FREESOUND=1 VST=0

failed again.

mm2ext gtk2_ardour/editor_actions.cc
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:24238: Warning: end of file in string; ‘"’ inserted
g++: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla for instructions.
scons: *** [gtk2_ardour/editor_actions.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Hmmm I think it’s a problem with your gcc version. Not sure though. I think the packages in Yellow Dog linux are a bit obsolete.

Still wait for someone else’s second opinion.

@DDRaptor: with the greatest of respect and thanks for your interest in Ardour, two points:

1. you may be only the 2nd person on the planet to attempt to build Ardour on a PS3
  2. more conventional Linux platforms have an easier, more robust and more reliable package installation system than Windows. You have been required to skip all of that not because it doesn’t exist, but because you are trying to use (a) an unusual hardware platform (b) a less-well-maintained linux distribution.

I should of said “Still wait for someone else’s PROFESSIONAL second opinion”.

And there you have it…