Export tempo-mapped MIDI

Hi,
for this project I’m testing this solution:

In particular I’m studying the MIDI part of the problem.

I created an Ardour project with a MIDI track and some MIDI notes. Time: 4/4; for the first bar, tempo 120/4; second bar, tempo starts at 120/4 and finishes at 60/4 (I simulated a big rallentando); third and last bar, tempo 60/4.

I selected the MIDI track, Region → Export… → Test.mid

$ fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -l -i /usr/share/sounds/sf3/default-GM.sf3 Test.mid

fluidsynth plays the MIDI file at 120/4, from the beginning to the end.

Where is the problem? Is Ardour ignoring tempo mapping during the export, or is fluidsynth ignoring it?

Thank you!

Carlo

[EDIT]
I imported the MIDI file in Rosegarden; tempo is still 120/4 from the beginning to the end. So I think the problem is in Ardour export.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks!
[/EDIT]

Ardour does not currently export tempo information when exporting MIDI.

1 Like

Thank you.

As workaround I suppose I have to record the MIDI file with an external program. I investigate.

Bye!

Carlo

Workaround found:

$ jack-smf-recorder Test.mid

After that you have to connect Ardour MIDI output to jack-smf-recorder (via QjackCtl, for example), play the MIDI track in Ardour and stop the recorder with Ctrl+C.

For Debian users: Jack-smf-utils currently isn’t packaged for Debian, so you have to compile it. Dependencies: libglib2.0-dev and libjack-jackd2-dev

Ciao!

Well, I just found myself lacking this feature too …
When working with other band mates who record their parts in their own DAW, it’s convenient to have the same time signatures :wink:

Didn’t get the workaround to work yet … jack-smf-recorder didn’t produce a satisfactory file. Moreover, it starts recording on the first received note so if you have silence for a few bars well that’s not helping.

Here is the bug report, FYI.

Regards,
Carlo

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.