Every time I open my session, my MIDI tracks / ACE Fluid Synth break

I’ve got a session with one audio track and several midi tracks. I have removed all automation and MIDI bank events from the MIDI tracks and when I add ACE Fluid Synth and a soundfont file, I can get these MIDI tracks to produce MIDI sound.

Then I close ardour and reopen the session again.

Now the MIDI tracks are silent. The signal meter shows signal, but the L/R audio outputs are completely flat. I can remove ACE Fluid Synth from each, add it back again + the soundfont and (voila!) the MIDI audio is back.

Then I close ardour and reopen the session again.

Now the MIDI tracks are silent again.

What is happening here?

(edit: FWIW, the MIDI tracks with reasonable synth (not ACE fluid synth) are fine and always audible.)

(edit 2: The soundfont file and all the settings inside all the ACE Fluid synth instances appear normal after closing and reopening ardour.)

(edit 3, unrelated: ctrl+up/down do not move selected tracks up/down, at least not on Ubuntu 22/Gnome fresh git pull/build of Ardour 4.5.x)

(edit 4: If I create a totally fresh MIDI track (not imported from a MIDI file), then create a MIDI region and copy-paste all the notes from one of the “broken” tracks, add ACE Fluid Synth+soundfont to it, restart Ardour, that NEW track is fine and seems to always be, no matter how many restarts. The MIDI tracks imported from a MIDI file remain problematic. Stated another way, creating a fresh MIDI track with the old notes pasted in somehow eliminates whatever is causing the sound to drop on Ardour restart in the original MIDI track.)

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.