Euphonix MC Mix control

Hmm… I managed to forget my Mackie again today sorry. I am glancing through the spec and all of your options seem incorrect though I don’t have time to fully study. You should be getting something along the lines of…

B0, 3C, **

Remember, we are in actuality using the Logic control protocol with Mixbus, not the Mackie Protocol which is slightly different in a couple of different ways, though I don’t remember this being one of them. I would need to capture a trace from the Mackie to be certain on the setup of the last 4 bytes of the message.

Seablade

@transco
There are only two available control for the MC Transport Wheel that is Shuttle and Jog.
You have to program two Keys, one for Shuttle and the other for Jog.

@JazzHot

I’ve done this with other programs, but when I try to set up it for Ardour those options are grayed out… no way to select them.

@transco
I did it in Mixbus easily.
I guess it must be different for Ardour for some reasons.

Assuming that I somehow trashed the usual jog and shuttle wheel settings, I tried using the ‘shift’ equivalents. In this case I was able to make the wheel settings, but unfortunately, it still output the wrong MIDI codes… 60 00 and 60 64 instead of the needed 60 01 and 60 65. I’ve got a call into Euphonix to see if they know how I can change this.

@transco
Have you tried a restore to factory default.
This option is available when programming keys.

@JazzJot

Yes, several times.

@transco: a fix for this is now in ardour’s SVN repository for version 2.X and 3.0.

@transco
I am sure you must know but just in case.
After a restore, the only two options you have to program some commands is Mackie control and Transport.
Mackie Control does not work.
Your only option is Transport.
There are 7 or 8 commands available in Transport and for me I found out that RTZ (return to zero) have a strange behavior. All the rest works fine.

Logic Pro is a charm to control with Euphonix. Hope to see it with Mixbus one day ;o)

@JazzHot
Actually, I don’t know. At what point you have the option of making the ‘Mackie / Transport’ 'selection? Sorry to drag this out, but I’ve successfully set up EuControl for other applications and never had a problem. For example, I have an old copy of ‘Live’. Control surface is set to generic Mackie. It however does respond to MIDI jog wheel codes ‘60 00 (CW)’ and ‘60 64 (CCW)’, which is what the MC Control is cranking out. Those same codes don’t work with Audour2. I tried a borrowed Mackie control surface and found that Ardour2 does respond to MIDI '60 01 (CW) and ‘60 65 (CCW)’, which, according to my documentation, are the standard Mackie jog wheel codes. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any way to get MC Control to generate those codes.

@transco

I am fairly certain those are not the logic control codes that we have programmed into ardour(Or are part of the Logic Control spec that we have implemented, NOTE that it is not the Mackie spec that is implemented though the differences are minimal). How exactly are you coming up with those captures?

Seablade

Oh you are using the decimal values, that is the confusion, most of the time when dealing with MIDI you would be referencing the Hex values, not the decimal equivalents. Gimme a bit while I dig into the code we have however the second value out of the pair you are listing is not very clearly defined in the logic spec IIRC…

Seablade

@transco

Ok I figured out why Live seems to work with it, the short answer is that the DAW is being told that there is a jog wheel event, but the number of clicks the wheel turns is 0, so therefore Ardour does nothing, which is one of two possible actions, the other is what Live does, which is to assume that there is always a click, even if the surface does not indicate one. This is not clearly spelled out in the specs that I can see, so either may be valid— but in all honesty chances are that the Euphonix is in the wrong here as it should always be reporting a delta value. We can obviously change our code to match what Live does, the question is which way we believe is correct. When John originally wrote this code, I was testing with a Mackie and he was testing with a BCF, the Euphonix MC series didn’t even exist at the time. As a result both of our surfaces seem to more correctly match the actual spec, and always emit a delta value it seems, which the Euphonix does not.

For the record, the presence of the 64 bit is what determines the direction the jog wheel was moved, the lesser bits are all the delta of the movement only. So really you shouldn’t ever get 64 and 00, you should be getting 65 and 01 at least for a single click is my understanding, and obviously my Mackie matches this as well.

Seablade

@seablade

Thanks for the detailed explanation… all makes sense now. Sorry about the decimal. The program I was using ‘MIDI Monitor’ speaks decimal and I didn’t think to change it to the more conventional hex notation. Anyway, I guess this is the end of the road as far as this issue goes. I’ve laid all this out for Euphonix Tech Support, but, based on past experience, it is unlikely they will do anything about it. other than say that they don’t support Ardour’.

Just one item left ( http://ardour.org/node/3891#comment-22875 ) that’s been driving me up the wall.

@transco Note that that bug fix was kind of blind since I can’t test it right now on my Mackie, but I suspect it will work fine to allow your current Euphonix to work with Ardour and Mixbus.

Seablade

@seablade

Sorry, I’m a new user and am not sure how I access the bug fix (yes, I have donated). I currently am running V2.8.11 Build 7387. I’ll be happy to test it and let you know the results.

@transco: you basically can’t until 2.8.12 is released. It was more just a FYI.

Thanks for the answers, I’ll drop them a mail. FWIW.
Best regards,
m.