Editor list minor graphical issue when using Clips section

Linux Debian based distro
GTK based Desktop Environment
Ardour 8.6

I noticed a minor graphical issue when showing Editor List.

If you have Editor List enabled you can double click on the vertical category tabs to toggle expand (view) or collapse width of the side bar.
If you perform this double click on the “Clips” tab to collapse the width (so it just shows tabs on side of your screen), you will notice that you can see the folder location drop down that you can see when the “Clips” tab is opened, a piece of it remains at the top covering the “Tracks & Busses” tab.

You don’t even need to double-click, just resize the side-bar.

Similarly to the clip list, if you have a range selection, the selection-clock is partially visible on top of the tab list. The Group list also bleeds “+” “-” bottoms at the bottom over the tab-bar etc.

This has been a long standing GTK issue, when allowing to make the tab’s content-frame smaller than the content’s size request, and is unlikely to get fixed.

@x42
Thank you for responding, no argument just not sure I understand your response, so maybe what I mentioned was not clear. If what I mentioned was clear, that is fine, obviously it is up to you and Paul to decide how you want to handle things. The following is probably not worth it, but I am just reporting any issues that I come across.

DOUBLE CLICKING CATEGORY TABS - ITEMS SHOWING ON TOP OF TABS

You don’t even need to double-click, just resize the side-bar.
Not sure what you mean by this? So again I might not have been clear.

In Ardour it is programmed that if you have that side bar visible, you can double click on the category tabs and it will collapse the side bar, but still leaves the category tabs visible at the side.

If you use this double clicking, that as mentioned is programmed into Ardour, then you end up seeing items that are shown in the visible side bar that are then covering the category names. They are showing while the tabs bar is “collapsed” (by double clicking).

All of these issues can be seen when you single click on the categories tab while the tab bar is in “collapsed” mode

-Clips Tab
This shows the drop down and the “A” from the “Ardour Bundled Content” drop down as well as the Play arrow icon button at the bottom of the tabs bar. Both are on top of the tabs bar even though collapsed.

-Snapshots Tab
When you click on this category you can see a little blue vertical line to the left of the “Tracks & Busses” tab. This the blue/cyan highlight, highlighting the snapshot currently selected.

-Tracks & Bus Groups Tab
You can see a little vertical blue line at the bottom of the tab bar. This is the vertical line from the + plus icon button.

CHANGE WIDTH OF SIZE BAR TO NARROW WIDTHS
This I did not mention in my original bug post. This is not as much of an issue because user can adjust the width to avoid these graphical issues. They are still graphical issues, but I am only mentioning because you brought it up.

These graphical issues occur when side bar is set to narrow widths, which is what you are mentioning. Not sure which categories are using GTK and what are not so keep this in mind.

-Ranges & Marks Tab
The behavior I would be expecting for this would be how the “Ranges & Marks” category functions.
When you change the width of this side bar in that category, it honors the left side of the tabs edge, the buttons at the top and bottom go “under/behind” the tabs and cannot be seen.

-Tracks & Bus Groups Tab
If you change the width to narrow the + & - buttons at the bottom do the same as above, they resize but never go beyond that left tabs edge

-Clips Tab
If you change width width of this section the “Refresh Clip List” icon goes into (on top of) the “Tracks & Busses” tab
If you keep going narrower then the “Ardour Bundled Content” drop down and the “Auto-play” text at the bottom will be on top of the tabs bar as well.

Now that Ardour includes GTK2 toolkit, it is now Ardours toolkit.

Again up to you and Paul what you feel is acceptable/possible, just reporting any issues that I find in hopes to be helpful. I am just mentioning this one because this side bar is an item that is on Ardours main window and might not want to have graphical issues shown on it.

Thank You

I don’t think anybody really cares about this but here something else to add to the things I mentioned above.
If you enter “range mode” then “range properties” gets added to the bottom of each section in the side bar. When the side bar is collapsed, the left side of the “range properties” section also shows up at the bottom.
While collapsed if you then single click on clips, if the “range properties” is still showing at the bottom, the “play” button from “clips” I mentioned that shows up at the bottom of the collapsed side bar then ends up on top of the “Range & Marks” tab.

A potential workaround is to enforce some minimum width of the sidebar. The user will be free to hide the sidebar, but would be prevented from making it impractically ‘narrow’ which causes Gtk some angst.

Thank you for your response.
Anyone interested in fixing just keep in mind that the graphical issues that occur when the side bar is collapsed but still showing the tabs, occurs regardless of how “impractically narrow” the width of the side bar is.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.