Duplicating MIDI Regions

When I duplicate a MIDI region using Shift-d, I find that the duplicated region does not align correctly with the start of the bar, it is very slightly late. So if you duplicate a large number, the timing goes out. My example is a MIDI drum track where the beats no longer fit to the rest of the song after duplicating say 30 bars (regions in my case). I can move the region back to align correctly using the middle mouse button and dragging. I have checked that the original region is spot on the start and end of it’s bar (as best as I can see). This is a loop that I want to apply to the whole song.

This seems to be a bug report, and thus should be filed at tracker.ardour.org, along with an exceedingly precise recipe for reproducing the behavior. Thanks.

https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=8222

I don’t understand. This is a pre-existing bug report about a different issue.

@andy how slightly late is each duplicate? is it just 1 audio-sample per duplicate?

-> https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=7786

Hi @x42, please excuse me and tell me if i hijack this thread.

I encounter the same behavior at home.
Did not noticed that as i always made pastes 1 by 1 ,ie i set the playhead with kb arrows( magnet mode) then paste and again.

I tried to multiple paste, when doing this, the 2nd and 3rd and so pasted midi regions gets a gap beetween them, i m almost sure it is more than 1 sample as i can see it even in not too much zoomed scales, and the gap does not seem to be consistent , sometime 2 pasted regions could be well “glued” each others and the gap does not seems to vary in lenght.

Please do not discuss this here. Please file or find a suitable bug report and add DETAILED recipes and information.

That means including details such as:

• sample rate
  • buffer size
  • region length
  • grid/quantize settings
  • precise size of the error (in samples)

and as many other things as possible

We do not care about your OS or your audio hardware for this purpose.

Ok @paul l will do so , do not have any time atm but may do so a bit later.

Thanks Paul.
I’ve used Ardour for 5 years, and this is my first problem. I normally do
drums by linking Hydrogen through Jack, but this is my first time using
loops and duplication. I’ll report this.
Rgds
Andy

Hi Robin

this is the correct bug. I can’t say how much the lateness is, but it is
cumulative.

Rgds
Andy

1 Like

I’ve noticed it too.