DSP CPU utilization in Ardour 3 (wow!!)

If this is what I think it is, then I am now able to gain more benefit from my multi-core CPU… and even better, set some limits so I still have CPU for graphics and other threads…
I knew this would happen, and from what I can see the implementation was worth the wait…
Thank you Paul and the ardour team!!!..

Before I throw in a feature request, I am wondering if the menu is dependant on the CPU… e.g. more cores, more menu options…

I currently can see, these options

• all but one processor
  • all available processors
  • 2 processors

I have a triple core CPU, so I really only have a choice here of 2 or 3 processors…

In time I may upgrade to a CPU with 6 or 8 cores… If I have more cores … is it possible to say select 5 cores for the DSP CPU utilization, leaving a CPU core for graphics subsystems, one for MIDI and maybe one for something else… (or is this ridiculous)… I ask because I like using MusE for MIDI editing and have been playing with the idea of using hydrogen or another software sampler in place of my old MPC 2000xl…

This maybe asking a bit much… but let me know if it’s reasonable and I will put in a feature request in Mantis…

@allank: if you had 6 cores, the combobox would have listed “all but one”, “all”, “2 processors”, “3 processors”, “4 processors”, “5 processors”.

That is exactly what I was hoping… no need for any feature request… this is the best thought out implementation for multi-core/cpu systems that I have seen…

Now I can’t wait for AMD’s bulldozer 8 core CPU… sometime next year…

Thanks again… for a fantastic tool…

Hey there, I’ve run into a bit of a pickle.
I had Ardour 3 set to “all but one” processors but I changed it to “all available processors” out of curiosity and now I get an error message “cannot load snapshot sucessfully”.
I’ve tried re-installing ardour and that hasn’t helped.

This is what my terminal says:

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
out of memory. You can view the memory limit with ‘ulimit -l’, and it
is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /usr/share/locale
Ardour3.4 (built using 3.4~dfsg-3ubuntu1 and GCC version 4.8.1)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour3/ardour_system.rc
Loading user configuration file /home/joelphin/.config/ardour3/ardour.rc
Using SSE optimized routines

(ardour-3.4:4237): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property gtkmm__CustomObject_N9Gtkmm2ext25CellRendererColorSelectorE::color after class was initialised
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour3/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour3/ardour3_ui_dark.rc

(ardour-3.4:4237): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to read the recently used resources file at `/home/joelphin/.local/share/recently-used.xbel’, but the parser failed: Failed to open file ‘/home/joelphin/.local/share/recently-used.xbel’: Permission denied.
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /usr/lib/ardour3/LV2

(ardour-3.4:4237): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property gtkmm__CustomObject_N9Gtkmm2ext23CellRendererPixbufMultiE::active after class was initialised
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Butler @ 0xa173f68
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::RouteGroup @ 0xa174210
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Locations @ 0xa174998

Can somebody please help? Thanks :slight_smile:

Go to /home/joelphin/.config/ardour3/ and delete the ardour.rc file. That will clear your settings.