Dream Studio Official Release

Dream Studio contains all the apps you need to create stunning graphics, captivating videos, inspiring music, and professional websites. Available as a free download, Dream Studio can be run directly from DVD, installed to your hard-drive, or even installed onto a USB Flash drive, for the ultimate in portability! Here is a list of just some of the included software:

Cinelerra (with custom UI) - a powerful non-linear video editor comparable to leading solutions like Apple’s Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premiere. Cinelerra contains more than 30 visual effects like motion tracking and chromakey, and supports both keyframing and nested sequences.

Ardour (with custom UI) - a professional digital audio workstation designed to replace offerings such as Digidesign Pro Tools, Steinberg’s Cubase/Nuendo, Apple’s Logic, and Sonar. Ardour features unlimited tracks, unlimited undo, and routing to and from any sound source. Ardour comes with support for many different plugin formats, and Dream Studio’s version comes with close to 200 plugins/effects including pitch correction, triggers, compression, eq, reverb, and more. Dream Studio also supports VST plugins.

Inkscape - vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.

Synfig Studio - a powerful, industrial-strength vector-based open-source 2D animation software package allowing one to create animations similar to those done with Adobe Flash. It has been designed from the ground-up for producing feature-film quality animation with fewer people and resources. While there are many other programs currently on the market to aid with the efficient production of 2D animation, we are currently unaware of any other software that can do what our software can.

Scribus - professional page layout, akin to Quark Xpress, Adobe Indesign, or Microsoft Publisher, with a combination of “press-ready” output and new approaches to page layout.
Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, Spot Colors, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.

Darktable - a virtual lighttable similar to A and darkroom for photographers similar to Adobe Lighroom: it manages your digital negatives in a database and lets you view them through a zoomable lighttable. it also enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.

Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) - a raster graphics editor with features similar to Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. It is primarily employed as an image retouching and editing tool. In addition to free-form drawing, GIMP can accomplish essential image work-flow steps such as resizing, editing, and cropping photos, combining multiple images, and converting between different image formats. GIMP can also be used to create basic animated images in the gif format. At present, GIMP is usable for amateur or professional work with images intended for viewing on monitors and printing on ink-jet printers.

Kompozer - a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing. KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding, and is a complete alternative to such commercial offerings as Adobe Dreamweaver and Apple iWeb.

Bombono - a DVD authoring program

Brasero - a CD/DVD burning application

Dream Studio also includes the following applications for day-to-day work:

Firefox web browser
OpenOffice.org office suite (can read and write Microsoft Office formats)
Evolution mail, addressbook and calendaring (compatible with Microsoft Outlook)
Tomboy note taking

Click <a href=http://picasaweb.google.com/macinnisrr/DreamStudio?authkey=Gv1sRgCIGlgo6bm8jSBA#slideshow/5514989423962544482>here to take a quick screenshot tour of Dream Studio, or here to download a copy for yourself.

Dream Studio is based on Ubuntu Gnu/Linux.

Dream Studio is based on Ubuntu Gnu/Linux. The goals for this project are:

1. Ease of use - To this end we aim to stay as close to stock Ubuntu as possible. This not only allows users to install software from the standard repos and ppas without hassle, but also to find solutions to problems through Ubuntuforums, the Ubuntu manual, and the entire Ubuntu community, as opposed to multimedia distributions such as AVLinux and Dyne:bolic. In addition, we add features such as pulseaudio->jack integration. This goal, in fact, is the reasoning behind naming this distribution Dream Studio: those who know what Ubuntu, Gnu, Linux, GPL, and FOSS are, will quickly find information on these things as they relate to Dream Studio. The new user, however, need not learn these cryptic phrases in order to begin creating.

2. Aesthetic beauty - Dream Studio builds on Ubuntu’s goal of aesthetic beauty, and pushes it further. Unlike distributions like UbuntuStudio (which features a theme quite dissimilar to stock Ubuntu) and KXStudio (which is based on KDE rather than Gnome - which some would say is less polished, on Ubuntu at least), Dream will always base our default themes on those of stock Ubuntu, albeit usually with less coloring (orange in its current iteration). Not only that, but we include custom UI themes for applications such as Cinelerra and Ardour, making them appear more integrated with the rest of the desktop.

3. Functionality - Although Dream Studio may make comparisons with other distributions, we do hold them in the highest esteem. For this reason, we make use of the most functional, up-to-date packages that the Open Source ecosystem has to offer, such as those you will find in UbuntuStudio, KXStudio, AVLinux, and the Akirad project.

We would like to thank Canonical (Ubuntu), Paul Davis (Ardour), the UbuntuStudio team, falktx (KXStudio), GMaq (AVLinux), Paolo Rampiro (Akirad project), the Cinepaint team, the GNU project, Linus Torvalds (Linux), Deviantdark (hydroxygen iconset), and everyone else whose contributions to open source have made this release possible.

For the record, your links won’t work here;)

Other than that congrats on the release!

Seablade

Seablade: I actually knew that, but I thought if I included them Paul might be nice and set them up :wink:

Anyway, here is the screenshot tour:
http://picasaweb.google.com/macinnisrr/DreamStudio?authkey=Gv1sRgCIGlgo6bm8jSBA#slideshow/5514989423962544482

and here is the download:
http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/releases/10.04/dream-studio_10.04.iso

@macinnisrr

Random comment from the screenshots alone, the white plugin and region text on the light background is awful hard to read, any plans on modifying that?

Just glancing through your screenshots, may have to give it a shot if/when I switch back to Linux for audio workstation use, it gets closer every day.

Seablade

seablade: When you switch from the default dark theme to the light one, the plugins and region names keep their colors for some reason. If you switch to the light theme, just restart ardour and the colors will be correct (black in this case). Same thing happens when switching the other way (plugin names remain black when on dark theme until you restart Ardour). It seems to be a bug in Ardour, maybe it’s a feature? (although I should restart ardour with the light theme and update the screenshot to avoid confusion). I had initially had both themes on the slideshow but opted for just the light theme to keep it less cluttered (and showcase the integration).

thanks GMaq!
also I’ve updated the screenshots.

How about Blender? LuxRender and YafaRay? Ramen? SwatchBooker? CMYKTool? Luminance HDR? Hugin?

How about Blender?

Other than the screenshots obviously of blender? :wink:

Seablade

We now have a forum! If you’re using Dream Studio or want to know more, visit dream.dickmacinnis.com

yes, blender, and hugin are part of the project. Luxrender had been while I was working on Karmic, but has been removed from lucid, so I will try and track it down. As far as the other apps you mentioned, thanks for the tip! I will do my best to get these included in time for Maverick (Oct. 10). And don’t worry, it won’t take nearly as long to get Maverick out the door as it did for Lucid (It’s ready to go now, actually, just waiting for release day and adding new packages).

EDIT:
Other than swatchbooker and ramen (which I couldn’t find copies of that worked on lucid), all your requests have been fulfilled. Enjoy.

Definitely sounds like an issue in Ardour, make sure that one is in Mantis if you get a moment?

Not that my opinion counts, but yea I would probably update the screenshots;)

Seablade

macinnisrr

Sincere congrats on your release! The links look very impressive and the custom UI’s are a nice touch. I hadn’t seen anything from you around here in a while… obviously because you’ve been very busy! If Ubuntu users can’t get things done now between you and falktx then shame on them!

Keep up the great work!

@macinnisrr:
is it also possible to just use your ardour build or other packages of your dream distro with the ubuntu studio lucid? like before it was possible with karmic?
i ll also have a look at your complete distro soon i hope, thanks !!

calimerox: yes, you can use any of my packages without installing them all, just by adding my repository to your software sources.

ok thanks, thats perfect, I just couldnt find a link or ppa to add to my software sources, also searching through your webpage…

Install this package for Lucid: http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/pool/main/d/dream-repository/dream-repository_1.4_all.deb
or this one for Maverick: http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/pool/main/d/dream-repository/dream-repository_1.5_all.deb

perfect, thanks a lot !!