I opened a session last night in Ardour 6.2.0. I had my drum mix solo’d. Part of this mix includes one stereo buss with the Dragonfly Room reverb on it. On this session only my stereo overhead channel had an aux send to this verb.
Having worked on this session before and wanted to continue on, I pressed Play. Mixing on Sony 7506 headphones, I was treated to a deafening blast that sent my headphone drivers into physical distortion and almost sent my ears into temporary threshold shift. I was able to stop playback fast and immediately had silence. Whew!
With headphones off and my IO turned all the way down, I hit play again to see what nearly killed me. I found my drum verb buss strip slammed into the red.
I deleted the verb. Added it back in again. Recalled my verb settings. Pressed play again. This time all was back to normal.
For the record, I don’t mix loud. I don’t solo loud. In fact, I mix low, as that is how I produce mixes that hold together well. In other words, this is not the case of a late night rock mixing session where the levels get higher and higher. But I do set my IO monitor out such that I have plenty of headroom and do not eat up the master buss to quickly. What I experience was something gone way wrong.
I will reach out the the plugin team, but wanted to share this here as a warning. And, also, I’m asking for advice on what to do as far as troubleshooting to capture what is needed when something like this happens.