does tc native essential vsts bundle work in linux??

hi all
im new to this forum

in the beginning of next month,im gonna make a dual-boot system on my laptop,with vista for internet,movies,games and stuff,and linuxmint 4,0 for music production,but i have some question regarding some windows vst

will tc native essentials bundle work on linux??

does the cmfuzz(the one that come with computer music)work??if not can you recommend a vst that does the same(as i use it alot)

the same as above but for dblue glitch

btw im gonna use reaper as my main sequencer,but im gonna try out ardour as well,as i have heard great things about it,and it looks great

thanx in advance

it’s great that you want to try out linux for making music. but, i’m kinda wondering why. you make it very clear that you plan on using reaper (a windows app that is known to function reasonably under wine) and windows vst plugins. i am not sure linux is going to be your ideal platform. admittedly, you’ll be running applications written for an entirely different operating system almost exclusively. that strategy is bound to give you a less than ideal user experience.

it seems like your strategy is reversed. you should be using linux for your internet and movie needs (probably not games), and stick with windows if you want to use windows-based music software.

i apologize that i can’t really answer your vst questions. however, there are many, many, many LADSPA plugins that offer similar functionality and operate superbly within ardour, if you end up going that route.

that being said, there are a number of ways to get vst plugins to run, with varying degrees of success. truthfully, if you have specific questions about vst plugins, you may have better luck asking the people working on bringing vst support to linux rather than here. or, you could do some quick googling.

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/

it looks like that may be a good place to start, as well. that site has a database of specific vst compatibility with linux.

hi
yep i want to use reaper(because i know it will run fine in linux)and because thats the sequencer i use now,as for the vst i mentioned,would just like to hear if anyone have used them in linux,if not then maybe could recommend me some "linux-vst"that will do the same as the mentioned windows vst

the main reason i want to try using linux as my music OS is to try something different,and i really think(after the things ive read on the net)that linux would be a good choice for what i wanna use it for

kind regards
michael
S-N-S
Scandinavian Noize Syndicate
www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

there are essentially zero “linux VST” plugins. a couple exist, thats about all.

VST plugin developers, especially most of the larger ones, have shown almost no interest in providing native versions of their plugins for Linux.

i am not certain, but i believe that the TC stuff requires a kernel driver to be able to interface with the TC hardware. even if the userspace part of their plugin/hardware system works under Wine (and it very well may), if they don’t have a way to talk to the hardware, the whole system will be unusable on Linux.

i repeat, as the main author of Ardour, what niemau said above: if your goals with making music are centered on being able to use existing commercial closed source tools, then Linux is not going to be a very friendly environment for you. whether or not Reaper works is not really the point. Linux is not an alternative environment in which to run Windows applications (and plugins), even though quite a few people are trying hard to make it possible to think of it in that way. it is its own environment with its own strengths and weaknesses.

I have had some success getting TC native VST plugins to run under Linux, by building the VST version of Ardour. I’ve also managed to get a few commercial VST Intruments to run under dssi-vst (eg Native Instruments). However after my experiments I agree with paul. If you switch to Linux you should really strongly consider using mainly native Linux applications. It’s useful to be able to run the odd VST plugin but running windows plugins under Linux is a hit and miss affair and they do use up more CPU time than if they were running under Windows on the same machine.

I recently switched to Linux after 10 years using Cubase VST; I now make extensive use of Ardour, Hydrogen, LinuxSampler, and often Rosegarden (for MIDI), as well as dssi-vst and of course JACK. Of course I’ve had to relearn a lot of my ways of doing things, and I’ve had to learn a fair bit about Linux, but the effort is worth it. The flexibility of applications under Linux far outweighs anything else, in my opinion.

thanx for the answers,i WILL keep using reaper under wine,untill (hopefully)someday reaper will be made linux native,and i will certainly use hydrogen as that looks to be a powerfull drum machine,i will still keep trying to use "windows vst"untill i find some linux native ones that will do the same that the windows vst i now use do

kind regards
michael
S-N-S
Scandinavian Noize Syndicate
www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate