Do periodic savety backups - still working?

Hi,

can anyone confirm that the automatic savety backup function is still working in 2.3 (vst enabled)?

I worked for about 15 minutes, Ardour crashed, and nothing was saved. I had the impression before, so now I’m asking you folks.
I thought Ardour would do backups every 2 minutes or so.

Benjamin

Check in Options >> “Make periodic safety backups”?

hi,

of course I did that. But is it really working? Sorry for the question, but I don’t know how to double check it.

Benjamin

Hmm… not sure if I can test it so easily. Don’t think I’ve crashed 2.3 yet but I was experimenting in 3.0 SVN the other day and the usual “restore or ignore” crash data dialog was indeed coming up. I don’t think Ardour ever was intended to periodically save all recent changes to an open session-- if you opened the same session as before the crash, you’re supposed to have the same exact session next time. When there’s pre-crash changes lying around, it asks if you want them. At least that’s my understanding of Ardour’s intended operation… could be mistaken. I make lots of snapshots instead of worrying about whether the crash data is any good :smiley:

hi

i had a crash and was sad to see no crash recovery dialogue.
i went researching, and it seems like i cannot find where are periodic backups stored?

the projectname.ardour.bak is not being updated periodicaly.
so where exactly are these backups stored?
one could see just by looking up the last modification time, no?

my ardour.rc contains
Option name=“periodic-safety-backups” value=“1”
Option name=“periodic-safety-backup-interval” value=“120”

nova.