"Diehard" Colors theme

Hi, GMaq! Looking powerful! :slight_smile:
A theme preoccupied user must have test
Could you upload the theme file somehow without .zip compression. I can’t unzip for unknown reason…?
Edit: no worry! I’ve download the second time - a normal flight :slight_smile: Sorry!

1 Like

Hi @cooltehno

Sure, here it is uncompressed: http://bandshed.net/files/diehard3-ardour.colors

1 Like

okk! Thanks anyway!:slight_smile:

You are the theme Master!! Be gentle… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well done. Another theme to be included upstream with Ardour, except the name perhaps.

A7
I woke up this morning,
D7/9 . . . A7/b13
and Ardour was blue.
D7 . . . D7/b9
'woke up this morning,
A7 . . . F#7
Ardour was all blueeee…

1 Like

@x42 Thanks! And a new blues tune as well!!?

BTW the original name came from here: Die Hard 4.0 GTK theme - Gnome-look.org

I used that for a default theme way back in the day before GTK3 and then appropriated the color scheme and paraphrased the name for new GTK3 system themes I created… It is not a reference to the series of Bruce Willis movies…lol.

Feel free to change the name to whatever you like though… Just clarifying the origins.

Nah, just first two bars of a common A major blues. Minor didn’t feel appropriate for this nice theme :slight_smile:

…will have to brainstrom about the name. Maybe derived from “gnome-look”: Dwarvenair.
That’s in line with other Ardour theme names (Ableton → Cainville, S1 → UnaStudio etc).

1 Like

That looks awesome! I’ll definitely try it :slight_smile:

Fairyfocus or Goblingape would be my suggestions…

1 Like

Dwarfish, or Elvish, surely…?

1 Like

How about ‘mellon’… which means friend in Elvish (as any self-respecting LoTR geek would know)… and I am a friend of Ardour… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

On second thought even ‘melon’ works with with the orange vaguely canteloupe-coloured highlights… :thinking: Maybe ‘Mellonhead’ should be the name… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would change two things:

1. The item “midi note selected outline” - to white (more noticeable IMO):

2. The transparency of the “G”-“E”-modes are more distinguishable when “G” - is filled of color, “E” - is transparent.
    Edit>Preferences>Theme>Transparency:

editable region” - move the slider to the left;
midi frame base” - move the slider to the right

In “G”-mode we are working with “blocks” - so we don’t need clearly looking grid inside the region;
in “E”-mode we need the orientation for notes - so the grid would be good clearly looking:

it’s only my subjective workflow feelling:)

P.S. A distro-oriented theme is an interesting idea. One monolith style :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@cooltehno

The wise master has spoken! Great ideas, I will look into it tomorrow and post an updated version. Thanks, that is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for!

Haha, if I could make my 2 main programs (both Ardour and Cinelerra) match the system theme I could die a happy man!

Suggestions from @cooltehno have been included and an updated ‘diehard2’ has been put in the first post.

With a great pleasure!))

My version of the theme name “ultra-celandine”. May be too crazy, but just my associations…

1 Like

Now that the dust has settled a bit… is it already time to include this upstream, or are there some further tweaks planned?

1 Like

Last night I got out to the studio and actively worked on a session and I wasn’t super happy with the Audio track BG (it’s determined by ‘widget gray’ I believe and needs to be a darker color for this theme)… I’m still fine tuning some changes on that but I hope to finish it this weekend and will be sure to post the final version here. Thanks for even considering it for upstream!

…May be one more tweak:

))next variants of the name: avlmafia, ultra-melon, alien-blood, alien juice, *dark blues

2 Likes

ack, keep fine tuning it. We’re not in a rush to push out a new release anytime soon anyway.

@x42

I think I’m done tweaking, I have edited the first post and uploaded the latest version ‘diehard3’ with the suggestions from @cooltehno. Any changes beyond that will probably be up to the User on an individual needs basis so I think the colors theme is ready whenever you are…

2 Likes