Development update: 6.0-pre1 now ready for testing

@MIserable_Hands

See here, I believe it will answer your question. If you have further questions about the donation/support process though ask in that thread and I will do my best to answer:

Keep in mind that donations have nothing to do with this. When you click on the “Donate button” you’ll get to this page:

The donation system is entirely separate from the download system, and exists mainly become Linux users generally get Ardour without payment via their distributions’ repositories. Also some people just feel like being generous.

Maybe you’ve meant pay for download? If so currently $45 or more will do the trick. Click through the download options and you’ll be asked:

a bit I want to capture from yesterday’s gdb/irc work:

When I first ran Ardour6 with the debugger:

$ /opt/Ardour-6.0.pre1.68-dbg/bin/ardour6 --gdb
(gdb) run

It didn’t start, but stopped with this exception:

Thread 13 "gui" received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffca1cf700 (LWP 23582)]
__libc_read (nbytes=4, buf=0x7fffca1ceb80, fd=12)
    at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/read.c:26
26  ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/read.c: No such file or directory.

Not sure of the root cause, but the fix was to execute this command in gdb just before the run command:

handle SIG32 noprint nostop

so if you get jacked up in a similar way, try that. thanks again Robin!

Ok cheers, that was the confusion.

Yes, you can grab an existing .po file and change the translation, but as I’ve seen, the existing .po files are not as complete as those generated with ./waf i18n_pot (I mean, those generated have more text than the existing ones), so BE CAREFUL!

Also, if you use poEditor, it has an option to automatically create .mo files at the same time it does a .po, so that’s a good option too.

The doubt I still have is about this: to ./waf i18n_mo generate the correct files, the new translated files have to be it.po/eu.po and automatically does the work?

We can talk more longly if you want, and that way make more easy the translations.
My email: porruren-grabatokia@riseup.net or porrumentzio@riseup.net
My Telegram alias: @Porrumentziotarra

That’s deliberate; you switch between the Editor and the Mixer window using the top right buttons.
You can also drag the Mixer button to the desktop to see both at the same time.

I haven’t found a preference setting to make the two windows show at startup but you can create a template from a session with both of them visible and use that.

Sorry Peder, I didn’t explain it too well. After dragging the mixer to the desktop, it’s position and size would always be remembered (in previous versions). So if you closed the session and re-opened it, both the Editor and Mixer would get displayed in their previous positions. But in ver6, only the Editor gets displayed - the Mixer isn’t visible if you close the session and re-open it later.

That’s strange; it works for me.
I’m running self compiled 6.0-pre0-3464 on a dual-monitor Ubuntu 18.04 and 6.0-pre1-126 on a single-monitor openSuse Leap 15.2beta and my sessions open with the mixer in the exact same pixel position where I had it when I saved and closed.

Even an old session from 2013 opens with the mixer on the second monitor in 6.0-pre0-3464

Maybe you have some weird settings in your .config/ardour6 folder?
Try and rename it and let Ardour create a new one for you.

There’s a thread about this on the Mixbus forum but up to now, the reporters all seem to be using Windows - so it looks like that’s the common factor?

If you have a minute, it’d be great to help track this down (or open a bug report on tracker.ardour.org, a forum is not a suitable way to report and keep track of issues).

First step would be to determine if saving or restoring is the issue: Can you check the file instant.xml in the session folder? There should be a section like this:

<Mixer  ... show-mixer="0" maximised="0" ... >
  <Window name="Mixer" visible="0" x-off="0" y-off="1080" x-size="1908" y-size="1022" tabbed="1"/>
</Mixer>

Here the mixer is on the 2nd screen below the main one y-off=1080.

Thanks Robin - if I change visible=“0” to visible=“1” in a session’s xml file (with the session unloaded) and then I load the session, the Mixer window does get shown. But saving the session at any point will always change it back to visible=“0”. Now that I know this isn’t a deliberate feature change I’ll file a bug report.

I can also test for why this is happening if you can give me a clue where to look.

WindowProxy::get_state is where it is saved, maybe an issue with the VisibilityTracker in Gtkmm2ext for Windows windows. – libs/gtkmm2ext/window_proxy.cc and libs/gtkmm2ext/visibility_tracker.cc

I found the problem this morning. I’m not too sure what the fix is but I’ve added a note in the Ardour bug tracker. It’s bug #0007976

Maybe I misunderstood this, I paid more than US$45 but I’m unable to download nightly builds. The site does not accept my username/password and keeps telling me to check my subscription status:

The download of 5.12 worked :slight_smile:

Please follow up with me via email at paul@linuxaudiosystems.com. I’ll need to know your ardour.org username, and the rough date of your payment.

Apologies if I’m asking this in the wrong place, or if it’s a daft question.

If I open a mix from 5.12 in version 6, would you expect it to sound exactly the same?

Depends, most likely there will be subtle differences.

For starters, Ardour 6 features latency compensation for busses and automation.
Various bug fixes may also result in different behavior.

PS. Ardour6 can be installed in parallel to Ardour 5 (and 4,3,2) and loading an Ardour5 session in Ardour6 creates a backup, so you can go back in case you need to re-export the original mix.

1 Like

About translation, I have read
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ardour/ardour/master/TRANSLATORS
but can’t figure out if one have to git commit -a for every of the 4 fr.po files, or if it’s better to do it in only one time when the 4 files are done?

What do you prefers?

@stratojaune Personally I would go ahead and add/commit all at once. I could always look at history differences on each file individually anyways.

Seablade

EDIT: I should clarify, as long as they are all related, meaning one language etc. I wouldn’t work on what is multiple tasks/languages in the same commit. This is more about ease of finding commits later if needed.

@Seablade Thanks for the answer, I’ll do that. Have a nice day :slight_smile: