Development update: 6.0-pre1 now ready for testing

Can you please describe the most important changes/feature-additions? Something like a changelog?

We do not maintain a change log.

Please see these previous posts:

We will provide a more complete list when the release is actually ready.

1 Like

Congratulations for the awesome work. @paul Regarding bug triage, I’ve unsuccesfully tried to change the Product Version field, but couldn’t. Do I miss something obvious, or should I just add a “6.0-pre1” tag or a “6.0-pre1” comment ?

2 Likes

Hi Paul,great news for new release Ardour 6 :grinning:

yay! I was just about to give up on Ardour 5.12 – I love it and it’s the daw I learned on but there’s a lot of pain points … note on/off quirks, regions that begin and end at the same time showing up as stacked in stacked view, notes disappearing and being silenced when they start at the same time as a region … basically a lot of simultaneity problems. It’s all due to floating point error, right? I think I read something here about that.

I’d been giving Waveform Free a try … don’t bother, I had lots of UI freezes and two outright segfaults in just a couple of hours … and had been psyching myself up to splash out for Bitwig … but now an Ardour 6.0 RC gives me new hope for this janky but otherwise awesome product! thanks at all.

Reports from users who’ve been with us along the journey from 5.x report that a majority of the problems with dropped note on/offs and disappearing have been fixed.

However, as noted in the “Development Update” posts, despite many months of work on the so-called “nutempo” branch that was intended to full eliminate floating point rounding errors when dealing with conversions between musical and audio time, we chose not to include that in 6.0 (for a variety of reasons). It will be one of the hallmarks of Ardour 7.0. It is therefore still possible (though much harder) to trigger situations where this sort of thing may happen.

We know that there is a lot of work to be done to improve our “compose in the box” workflow, including the MIDI side of that. Hopefully there will be some significant work on that between 6 and 7 (that is certainly the intent).

4 Likes

Hi!
I want to translate the Ardour Interface into basque, I think it’s possible at all. The only doubt I have is how to do that, because, even if I read the translator guide, I don’t really know how to begin the work.

Where do I have to download the files from? Also, I do not know much about git, but I think I could only follow the instructions in the guide.

I would thank a lot any kind of help!

1 Like

It’s really great to see Ardour 6 getting finished.
I’ve been using it before the -pre1 release and I had a few issues with the MIDI workflow, but I need to make sure if they are still there.
Thank you for your amazing work!

6 Likes

I finally discovered how to get the files. I didn’t know much about Git, but I asked and done a Fork.

Now my question is about ‘./waf i18n_pot’:
I suppose that I could simply edit the .po files and save them with a different name. Isn’t that way?
Consequently, I don’t know whether it’s strictly necessary to create the .pot file.

I would appreciate a lot an answer. Thanks.

Hmm I think you can create a .po file with .po editor (poedit works fine to me, check it out) also from an existing .po file (namely deleting all the translations in another language). Then the ./waf i18n_mo looks in the folder and compiles every .po it finds. Please correct me if I’m wrong because I’m doing the italian translation, so you’d help two translators at once :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Working with 6.0-pre1, getting about a crash an hour working with it. They’re random AFAICS and I can’t reproduce them.

Is there a guide anywhere for reporting crashes in a way that’s useful to the dev team? I have the build with the debug symbols and I’m starting from the console and capturing the logs, but not sure what else is necessary to make a good crasher bug report.

Definitely saw some positives in 6.0-pre1 … note on / note off seems much more solid now. I am seeing some disappearing notes but https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=7947 looks very similar to my trouble so I’ll wait for a nightly containing that resolved bug before talking about that more. And the crash recovery has been solid, haven’t lost any data as a result of the crashes.

If you have reliable recipe how to produce those crashes, then that is the preferred way. Open a bug report with instructions how to reproduce the issue.

Otherwis a backtrace is needed. On GNU/Linux with a nightly build, start Ardour inside a debugger. Install gdb (the gnu debugger) if it’s not yet installed on your system, then

Ardour6 --gdb

## now in gdb:

run <press enter>

## make ardour crash, it should return you to the gdb prompt.
# now  backtrace (can be several pages long)
thread apply all bt

Long story: https://ardour.org/debugging_ardour

3 Likes

Thanks Robin! And thanks for your help in IRC getting the gdb issue settled.

The traceback I got mentioned calf.so and so I uninstalled the calf plugins. I had heard bad things about them but had never been bitten before today. Ardour6 has been solid since!

1 Like

This has been reported a few times on the Mixbus forum but I only just noticed it happens with Ardour too…

When you first load a session, the Editor window gets displayed but not the Mixer window. I happen to use Ardour on a dual-monitor system so I don’t know if it also affects a single-monitor system.

If someone else can confirm this, should I add it as a bug or was it a delberate change?

Hi, I’ve been using 6.xxx development version for sometime, all very good but three nasty bugs have crept in that crash it. I wanted to subscribe, but setting up a paypal account just for this isn’t going to happen (I have enough trouble with direct debits at the bank, never mind a company where you can’t get to talk to anyone). If I donate, where will the ‘next two versions’ deal kick in from, the donate page seems to suggest it would be from 5.xxxxx. Times is hard and I need to get it right. Cheers.

@MIserable_Hands

See here, I believe it will answer your question. If you have further questions about the donation/support process though ask in that thread and I will do my best to answer:

Keep in mind that donations have nothing to do with this. When you click on the “Donate button” you’ll get to this page:

The donation system is entirely separate from the download system, and exists mainly become Linux users generally get Ardour without payment via their distributions’ repositories. Also some people just feel like being generous.

Maybe you’ve meant pay for download? If so currently $45 or more will do the trick. Click through the download options and you’ll be asked:

a bit I want to capture from yesterday’s gdb/irc work:

When I first ran Ardour6 with the debugger:

$ /opt/Ardour-6.0.pre1.68-dbg/bin/ardour6 --gdb
(gdb) run

It didn’t start, but stopped with this exception:

Thread 13 "gui" received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffca1cf700 (LWP 23582)]
__libc_read (nbytes=4, buf=0x7fffca1ceb80, fd=12)
    at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/read.c:26
26  ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/read.c: No such file or directory.

Not sure of the root cause, but the fix was to execute this command in gdb just before the run command:

handle SIG32 noprint nostop

so if you get jacked up in a similar way, try that. thanks again Robin!

Ok cheers, that was the confusion.

Yes, you can grab an existing .po file and change the translation, but as I’ve seen, the existing .po files are not as complete as those generated with ./waf i18n_pot (I mean, those generated have more text than the existing ones), so BE CAREFUL!

Also, if you use poEditor, it has an option to automatically create .mo files at the same time it does a .po, so that’s a good option too.

The doubt I still have is about this: to ./waf i18n_mo generate the correct files, the new translated files have to be it.po/eu.po and automatically does the work?

We can talk more longly if you want, and that way make more easy the translations.
My email: porruren-grabatokia@riseup.net or porrumentzio@riseup.net
My Telegram alias: @Porrumentziotarra