Dequantisize function

Is there a dequantisize function in Ardour, like in Cubase to randomly shift midi events by a few ticks?

I don’t think so.

I was going to suggest the MIDI transform option, but the granularity is too large and it does not allow a random number from 0…1 (1/8th notes) :frowning:

If you are fine with having a different randomization every time you play, you can use a plugin. “MIDI Delayline” from x42 MIDI Filter Collection allows for randomization.

In any case, rather than randomizing, you may want to prefer a humanizer built in to a given synth. e.g. for Drums: hit Snare early, play Kick-drum a bit late, or similar heuristics for the instrument in question.

Could the OP route that midi output into another track, thereby re-printing the midi? One could do a few takes, and then have some choices.

Yes, I mean a humanize function:

@x42 : dont forget this trick : How do I humanize a MIDI track? - #9 by Headwar
Less CPU than using a plugin, and repeatable results… And you get to use the Midi Transform tool !

2 Likes

Thanks!
I completely forgot that one can multiply to improve resolution with the transform tool. Your solution is brilliant.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.