Default export format, esp. for re-import

I realized recently that the default export format for a new session is 16-bit WAV. I always change that when exporting mixes, but it occurred to me I’ve probably used the default a few times when exporting / re-importing.

Is there a way to set to the default format so that my export re-imports will be at 24-bit without my having to change it for each session?

1 Like

Also, is there a functional difference between exporting / re-importing 24- vs. 32-bit, assuming my session audio file format remains at 32-bit float (the default)?

I just tested this:

I created a custom “Export Format Profile”, then exported using it, then tried exporting the session again (via ^E) and it does indeed pre-load that last export profile used, which is nice of course.

However, in a new session the export profile defaults back to the WAV 16-bit one… Hmm… :confused:

Thus circling back to your original question:

…
You might want to submit a feature request on Mantis about this. Perhaps ‘all’ that needs to be done is the implementation and use of a ‘default export format profile’ line of code in the main config file that Ardour 9 uses. :man_shrugging:

-J

2 Likes

Basically with 32bit export you don’t have to worry about clipping and you avoid dithering, it’s the way to go if you’re to going import the file in a session.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s nice that there is a memory within the session, but it would be nice to set a default set of export options so that I don’t have to remember to do it each time (e.g. I usually export the full session to FLAC 24-bit and have to set that each time).

1 Like

So you have not saved the session after exporting it and hence your choice of export profile is not saved/restored.

I’m not sure I follow. If I create a new session and have not exported yet, the default is set to <X>. I think what we’re getting at is that we’d like to be able to change <X> :slight_smile:

That is correct.

After changing it the format persists in the current session, if and only if the session was saved after export.

New session are not affected because Export State - as currently saved by Ardour - includes all export settings, many of which are session specific (timespan, channels etc).

and yes, I agree it’d be nice if one could pick a default format or even preset, but it’s not a quick hack for an afternoon.

2 Likes

An alternative that may work using session templates.

Start a new session using your existing session template or Ardour’s “Empty Template”.
Adjust Session Properties as desired.
Export this empty session using export parameters you want to save with your template.
Add tracks and route if desired.
Add MIDI instruments and/or Audio plugins, set default values or patches if desired.
When satisfied with the new session, save as a Session Template using menu option:
Session > Create Session Template.
If you save the Session Template using the same name as an existing template, Ardour will ask if you want to overwrite the template. This way you can add features to your existing Session Template. Personally, I prefer versioning the templates to avoid overwriting and forgetting something and losing it. ex. 24bit-with-24bit-export-01, 24bit-with-24bit-export-02, etc.

Now choose this Session Template for new sessions, they will have your desired session wav format and export format.

*You will still need to set the export format once for every preexisting session that didn’t use this new Session Template.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s actually a great workaround! I should probably start using templates lol…the setup isn’t super complicated anyway (mostly just importing a karaoke and setting up one or two recording tracks), but this is a great reason to setup templates to automate all of the annoying initial setup. Actually, going to go do that right now :joy:

If allowing users to set the default is time-consuming, wouldn’t it make sense to make 32-bit the default? That’s what I recommended in my feature request.

Definitely not. Nobody should deliver 32bit (or 24bit) audio files to a target audience…

(Also for re-import 16 bit should be more than enough, given that the signal does not leave the digital domain, and there’s no chance of analog clipping, or benefits for headroom. – Though re-import is a rather edge case thing to do)

1 Like

I might have been operating with a few misconceptions. I generally deliver 24-bit FLAC to my clients. Thus far, my mixes go no further than to youtube and soundcloud; I’m hoping that’ll change in the future, so I want to be sure I understand the reasoning behind your recommendations.

It seems to me that exports have a great many uses beyond the finished product. But regardless, should I never deliver a 24-bit FLAC to a client?

A couple questions about this: Is re-import really an edge case? I use it often to A/B mix decisions, especially those that cannot be easily A/B’d with press of a button.

Does your statement above about 16-bit being more than enough conflict with the below?

(Files exported solely for re-import are, for me, throwaway files, so I don’t consider file size to be a concern.)

OK sorry for getting a bit off-topic here…

If you [loudness] normalize it, pretty much everything below bit 19 is thermal noise at room temperature. And even the 96dB Signal/Noise ratio that 16bit audio offers can represent the noise of a bee flying in your room vs a jackhammer at one meter away from your ear.

It can make sense to deliver uncompressed audio to intermediates, which then transcode, re-compress audio, but in general: 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

Particularly since almost everybody will listen in some headphones or phones these days. Apple EarPods Analysis shows about a signal/noise of 8bit (48dB).

Even really good tape that was used until the early 90s is, at best, equivalent to around 12-13 bit (with advanced noise reduction).

Then again, sometimes it’s easier to give them a 24/192kHz file than trying to argue and educate the client; but that is a different story.

A null test is indeed a good valid reason to export and re-import 32bit float.

1 Like

Well now…

I’ve just (Ardour 9.8.5) added a hidden preference that allows to specify the default format to be used with new sessions.

It is a bit of a stopgap solution until we can come up with a proper fix. It also only allows to set one format, not a preset…

While Ardour is not running edit the config [1] file and add

<Option name="default-export-format" value="20b4ab09-6452-4cb3-bd66-b921cdbd2942"/>

and you will have 32bit float broadcast WAV as new default.

Export formats are identified by UUID, which you can look up for each export format [2].

–
[1] Config file locations

  • Linux/XDG: $HOME/.config/ardour9/config
  • macOS: ~/Library/Preferences/Ardour9/config
  • Windows: %localappdata%/ardour9/config

[2] ardour/share/export at master · Ardour/ardour · GitHub each .format has an ExportFormatSpecification id. You may also have custom .format files in your config folder.

2 Likes