creating pre master - .cue and workflow question

I have a question, maybe not only ardour / mixbus related…:

I do a premaster for a cd production and use therefore the cd markers and export a .wav and a .cue sheet and later convert the file via cue2ddp
for the cd pressing etc…

when I burn a cd from the .cue sheet I get strange cd titles when i use the vlc player or some web connected player… Is there a way to avoid that, for example name the tracks etc. while exporting?

I just need a CD TITLE and no Track titles on the CD

Thanks for any help.

here s the cue sheet:

REM Cue file generated by Mixbus
TITLE “test-title”
FILE “testtitle.wav” WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “1”
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “2”
INDEX 01 07:48:69
TRACK 03 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “3”
INDEX 01 10:59:03
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “4”
INDEX 01 12:03:08
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “5”
INDEX 01 15:46:54
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “6”
INDEX 01 22:44:03
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “7”
INDEX 01 26:47:28
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “8”
INDEX 01 30:21:25
TRACK 09 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “9”
INDEX 01 33:24:28
TRACK 10 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “10”
INDEX 01 38:52:20
TRACK 11 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “11”
INDEX 01 40:58:73
TRACK 12 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “12”
INDEX 01 44:10:65
TRACK 13 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP
TITLE “13”
INDEX 01 51:50:48
TRACK 14 AUDIO
FLAGS DCP

</code>

You don’t burn the hash onto the CD, the hash is generated from information about the CD by the player. You could try adjusting a track length slightly(Add a second to the end for instance) and see if that affects it.

Seablade

Ha a lot of interesting news, actually yes i dont even need a track name or anything, just want to avoid getting the wrong names displayed, I ll check seablades idea and see if that changes the shown titles… When it comes to pressed audio cd s things get complicated…
but actually the .wav + cue output of ardour/mixbus works pretty well in general, dont know if there are changes in ardour3?

Yes, I did the same except I misburned about 20 CDs, during which time I discovered that wodim, cdrecord, brasero and cdrdao and (something else, I’m sure) all interpreted TOC files differently and had different ideas about how to do the two second pre-gap per track!

I ended up after much trial and error with a home-made shell script that would read a bunch of .WAV files and create a TOC file based on them, with track title = filename initially. I’d then edit the TOC file to correct the track titles. Then I’d use CDRDAO with that TOC file, and that got me the most consistent results, and a CD burned in DAO mode which is required by the CD manufacturer if you’re making a master for pressing.

hallo,

in order to get this working right, i have to use a certain driver in couple with cdrdao.

for one of my machines:

cdrdao write --device 1,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw -v 2 export.wav.toc

for a usb burner:

cdrdao write --device /dev/sr1 --driver generic-mmc:0x00000010 export.toc

so, it works, but i had to experiment with the generic-mmc driver options and to ‘misburn’ a couple of cd’s.

cheers,

doc

hmm thats true, i used brasero to burn the actual cd… and when i put the cd in vlc, it shows me a raggae drum n bass whatever Cd;) no idea how i can avoid that, getting a hash burned on a cd that is not used already…

No, the cue sheet can include text titles for the whole album and for each track. Car players obviously use CD text because they don’t have access to CDDB; I’d have thought PC CD players would use the CD text in preference to CDDB if available.

However, from my experience of trying to create a cue sheet and use it to burn a CD which showed the tracks and Album title correctly on my car stereo and had all the ISRCs on it, it’s incredibly difficult to to get it right. Even when I thought I had it right on a master CD, the pressing plant said they couldn’t read the ISRCs and I had to email them a list.

I didn’t use Ardour to make the cue sheet; maybe I should try it. I noticed recently that the “export CD markers” feature is only documented in the very old online documentation for Ardour; the newer “recommended” doc doesn’t describe it in any detail at all.

Maybe A3 will do it better…

I think this depends on your burning software most likely, not sure, never really looked into it.

But also keep in mind this may not have anything to do with CD-Text (Where CD Titles come from on car stereos often times) but may have more to do with cd lookup services like CDDB and Gracenote, which use a hash of the CD to try to find the match. Often times that hash may match an already existing entry and you will pull in info from that entry. Hard to say without knowing more about where your players are getting their data from.

Seablade