Rocket.Chat is a libre, modern, self-hostable and hackable chat platform.
IRC is very hard to get into for new users and is extremely antiquated and lacking in features.
I think it’d be beneficial to the Ardour community if the IRC was either replaced or bridged to an official Rocket.Chat instance, so users can interface with the discussion via more modern tool.
What is bugging me abotu IRC specifically are missing features:
- Lack of history - you need to be online all the time of you’ll miss the important stuff
- Lack of mentions/notifications - users can easily miss of someone mentioned them, so conversations suffer, unless everyone is online all the time, which is not a reasonable thing to expectof users
- Lack of sub-rooms (called channels in Rocket.Chat) - so the discussion can easily get messy as everyoen is forced in the same room
- Lack of file uploading - users reporting problems can’t show a screenshot or share an audio file to present problems or ideas
- Lack of link embedding - every links is a total mystery, becasue IRC will not show it’s contents - IMHO this hurts readability a lot
There’s more but the rest are minor complaints I have about IRC
I am really happy that Ardour adopted a modern forum platform, now it’s time to up the chat game as well!
What do you guys think?