create a complex MIDI control surface

So I want to create a mixing/recording desk, using 3x BCF2000 and 3x BCR2000 for full 24 channels full control strips at a time (just an analogue-desk-feeling). I accidently entered another thread with that ( https://community.ardour.org/node/7232 ) so please don’t be cross about some cross-copy-pasting.

@Paul: I know you are very busy and I don’t expect immediate reply. Thanks for letting me know about 14bit: I’m not really fussed about it, it would just be a nice to have but nothing essential for me. Of course I rtfm and sorry for being confusing, let me try to clarify things:

P:> “MIDI “learn” and preset MIDI binding maps are completely different mechanisms.”
M: Apparently, and the amazing thing is that e.g. the panning in the BCF2000 map is outcommented and if you activate it it still doesn’t work, however if you teach Ardour from the BCF/R it works perfectly.

P:> “Information about “a complete lis tof all MIDI controller numbers” is just standard MIDI spec stuff.”

M: Sorry again, I meant of course that every control element in Ardour has it’s number/name as used in the provided midi.maps. So my question is if there is a file which contains exactly these numbers/names for every control element (and ideally a note if they are working or not and what they expect, e.g. the solo/mute button is certainly wrongly interpreted with the BCF.map, it lets all solo/mutes flicker and control is lost)

So my investigations go in two directions:
a) is it possible to create a midi.map which lets me access all of Ardour’s control elements completely and which messages do they expect (so I can program my BCF/BCR-s to send the right messages)
b) if I teach Ardour my HUI’s controls (which I programmed purposefully before) - where do I find what Ardour (temporarily) learned, save it and reload it into the next session?

P:>There are no “standard plugins”
LOL ok right… I mean the tap, amb etc plugins: They learn MIDI messages, too, so I would like to know where they keep that (temporary) information. I guess that’s the same way Ardour does it as it’s track-bound somehow.

@Dennis: Sorry again for breaking your thread and thanks for the hints… I checked the BCF/R programming before, did some practical tests, saved and restored presets etc pp and I am amazed what you can put into their 32 presets - if I only knew what Ardour expects (or what I can teach Ardour to expect respectively).

Anyway, I’m no good at all in C or CPP but I’m a fairly good bash scripter and I wouldn’t be fussed to write a script for starting Ardour - after I did some pre-settings in that script, if I only knew which settings…

So, any help is welcome, I’m pretty shure I can create something like PT+C24 to satisfy my project studio’s needs… and will share anyway.

Cheers from Adelaide :slight_smile:

Oh guys, I got there meanwhile - with the help of Glen from Harrison. I bought Mixbus and while I know that Ardour is the basis - I looove Mixbus.
Anyway, I now have 2 layers of 24 full channels, allowing me to control the full Mixbus channel strip without touching mouse or keyboard, thus making it possible to switch off the screens and mix with the ears instead of eyes.
Thanks Paul & team for the excellent work anyway, I’m looking forward to trying new versions.

Wow, cool! Any chance you can share a video of your control surface in action?

Haha certainly. I’m currently working on a very important project: Vegas-Mode for my surface :slight_smile: I will post a youtube link here as soon as I’m there…

And sorry Ben for calling you Glen, I should have looked up my email first :confused: