Crashing on second load of project

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to this software and I am needing to use it to complete a college project due on the 17th. I have this issue with a project file that has been converted from OMF using AATranslator. It opens just fine on first load, mentions some missing plugin and that the project is for an older version of Ardour, but when I just press okay, it opens, recognises all the sound files and the like just fine.

Another issue at this stage is that with this one specific project, I see the audio playing in the meter but, it doesn’t actually play through the speakers on my laptop; this is not the case when I import a sound file into a new project so I’m not sure what’s going on there either.

Anyway, once I close it and try to reload, it gives me that same pop-up about a missing plugin. I press okay and it crashes immediately after.

This is what happens what happens in the terminal when loading the project the second time.

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

WARNING: Could not check your glib-2.0 for mutex locking atomic operations.

Ardour6.9.0 (built using 6.9 and GCC version 11.2.0)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/dc8650/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour6/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /app/share/ardour6/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/dc8650/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour6/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 452 MIDI patches from /app/share/ardour6/patchfiles
Gtk-Message: 01:08:15.103: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /app/share/ardour6/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Gtk-Message: 01:08:15.119: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/clearlooks.rc
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /app/etc/ardour6/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along /home/dc8650/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour6/templates:/app/share/ardour6/templates

(ardour-6.9.0:2): GLib-CRITICAL **: 01:08:21.017: Source ID 759 was not found when attempting to remove it

(ardour-6.9.0:2): GLib-CRITICAL **: 01:08:22.922: Source ID 771 was not found when attempting to remove it
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /app/lib/ardour6/LV2
Set cursor set to default
/usr/include/c++/11.2.0/bits/stl_vector.h:1145: std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::back() [with _Tp = ControlPoint*; _Alloc = std::allocator<ControlPoint*>; std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = ControlPoint*&]: Assertion '!this->empty()' failed.

I’ve tried archiving the project, un-archiving the project. Saving it as different things, and moving all the audio to the project’s directory. I really have no clue what to do now.

I was wondering if anyone more experienced in using Ardour would be able to help with these issues?

Thank you all.

That are somewhat mysterious.

Could you upload the *.ardour session file, so that we can have a look?
Paste it to pastebin.com, or upload to google-drive etc, or attach it to a ticket at tracker.ardour.org

Hey, thank you for the quick reply.

Here is a link to download the .ardour file

I could upload a project archive too if it would help?

Looks like you’ve asked AAtranslator to convert it to a Mixbus (not Ardour) session.

Anyway it loads here (in Ardour 6.9) and save/reload also works. I’ve cleaned up the file: added missing master-bus inputs (mixbus does not have those) and remove Harrison-mixnbus-POST plugins…

http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/HNC%20Screen%20OMF%20Import.ardour

Thank you so much for sorting this bit out. The first time I load it up the plugin error is gone and there’s actually sound now! But, for some reason it still continues to crash on re-load.

WARNING: Could not check your glib-2.0 for mutex locking atomic operations.

Ardour6.9.0 (built using 6.9 and GCC version 11.2.0)
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/dc8650/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour6/config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /app/share/ardour6/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/dc8650/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour6/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 452 MIDI patches from /app/share/ardour6/patchfiles
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /app/share/ardour6/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/clearlooks.rc
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /app/etc/ardour6/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /app/etc/ardour6/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along /home/dc8650/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour6/templates:/app/share/ardour6/templates
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /app/lib/ardour6/LV2
Set cursor set to default
/usr/include/c++/11.2.0/bits/stl_vector.h:1145: std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::back() [with _Tp = ControlPoint*; _Alloc = std::allocator<ControlPoint*>; std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = ControlPoint*&]: Assertion '!this->empty()' failed.

I’m not sure why this keeps happening. I have tried reinstalling too.

From the ardour.org installer, or from your linux distribution repository? Which distribution are you using?

I’m on Fedora 36, just using the Flatpak version. It’s the only one that seemed to work for me as the one in the Fedor repo doesn’t open correctly and spams the console about missing GTK components or something.

Hmmm…I run F 36. I’ll take a look, I have the version from ardour.org so I haven’t run the Fedora repository version in quite a while.
Flatpak applications are sandboxed, so it’s kind of a pain for something like a DAW that you want to be able to access other files (like plugins). I remember this has come up before (maybe with snaps, which is similar to flatpak), and the consensus at the time seemed to be that it was a lot of trouble for not much (if any) benefit.

Ardour has been packaged in Fedora for quite a long time, and hasn’t had any problems in years that I remember, so it seems odd that a dependency would be left out now. Have you tried “sudo dnf reinstall ardour6” to make sure it is installed correctly and all dependencies are pulled in correctly?

And the general recommendation from the Ardour developers is to run the version from ardour.org, as that is the only one they control, so is the only one they can make sure runs properly. Distributions do mess up their audio software builds from time to time.
You do have to pay to get the ready-to-run binary, but it is a choose your own price scheme, so skip your coffee tomorrow (OK, don’t skip it, just find some free coffee instead of going to the cafe) and get supported Ardour:
Ardour linux download

I think I’ll give the Fedora repo one another go and see if I can troubleshoot it into working somehow. I have tried reinstalling it too but it does seem to pick everything up. It could be Wayland. It’s probably Wayland isn’t it. Well regardless if that fails I’ll pick up a subscription and give that a go too :>

I just tried the Ardour 6.9 I installed from the Fedora 36 repository, and it is running OK.
I did not get any GTK warnings, but quite possibly I have packages installed for some other reason that happen to meet the dependency.
You can post some of the error messages, maybe I or someone can tell which packages are likely needed from the messages.
I go back and forth between X11 and Wayland, in general Wayland is fine if you are using Gnome, KDE still has some quirks on Wayland that don’t exist on X11. Usable if you aren’t trying to directly compare KDE X11 and KDE Wayland behavior.
Anyway, probably not caused by Wayland.

Be sure to take a look at the options, you can subscribe, or pay a single time to get the latest version. Just make sure you are on the download page to pay, there is a separate donate option that is not related at all to paying for the binary build.

Hm yeah, I use Plasma, Wayland, and NVIDIA too just for good measure, so when something doesn’t work I usually blame that combination. It works mostly fine for everything though. I’ve opened an issue on the Flatpak repo to see if that brings any progress. As for the Fedora build, here is the terminal output for when I try it (without the session). Maybe it is Plasma or a lack of something Gnome?

Ardour6.9.0 (built using 6.9 and GCC version 12.1.1 20220507 (Red Hat 12.1.1-1))
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour6/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /usr/share/ardour6/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour6/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 452 MIDI patches from /usr/share/ardour6/patchfiles
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.746: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /usr/share/ardour6/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.776: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.784: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.792: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.799: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.807: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.816: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.823: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.832: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.840: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.848: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.856: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.864: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.872: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.880: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 16:41:51.889: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

It goes on like that forever and ever until I ctrl+c.

Possibly the same as 0005605: Hangs while starting at loading UI config files - MantisBT

Short of using the official binary, you could file a bug for the distro-version, or try if setting the environment variable GTK2_RC_FILES=/nonexistent helps.

I don’t think this issue is unique to the Flatpak version. The variable above worked for the distro packaged version, once I loaded it up, saved, and then exited, I had the same issue.

For some reason, this project just doesn’t want to load a second time. If it loads the first time but not second, is it an issue with the individual session? Or Ardour in general?

I have a newly converted file now; this time specifically converted to an ardour session which showcases the same issue.

Ardour always seems to close with this error.

/usr/include/c++/11.3.0/bits/stl_vector.h:1145: std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::back() [with _Tp = ControlPoint*; _Alloc = std::allocator<ControlPoint*>; std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = ControlPoint*&]: Assertion '!this->empty()' failed.

As this happens with two separate builds, I’m not quite sure what’s going on…

Below is are links to the version of the session before it’s first opened, after first load. Can the issue be reproduced on other setups or is my system perhaps at fault?

Before first load: Proton Drive

After first load: Proton Drive

Okay so a patch was submitted as a PR as a result of my issue on the Flathub repo:

So hopefully once that gets merged the issue should be resolved in future for anyone unfortunate enough to encounter it. In the mean time, I managed to export the parts of the session needed as FLAC and import them into a new session, so I can complete my project that way!

Thank you all for your help :>

Already merged and pushed.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.