Crash if no access to internet

Hello,

I’ve recently installed ardour and it’s my favourite so far. Well, I wasn’t sure if I could pay in US dollars (I live in Europe), so I choose to make a donation and download the installer from here instead.

Anyway. Being on windows, I have this habit of blocking any output connection by default. Basically, only my browsers and a few progs are allowed.

But when I try to launch Ardour, it just crashes. Module libglib-2.0-0.dll is the culprit according to windows.
But if I allow Ardour in my firewall, then no problem.

First I thought it was some automatic update checking but I couldn’t find anything about it in the preferences.

Apparenty it needs to connect on random UDP ports, but only on local, no remote IP.

ard

It’s not a big deal, if I have to keep it allowed in the firewall, I will.
But if I could fix the problem, I’d like to know.

I’ve noticed that several people seem to have crashes linked to libglib-2.0-0.dll and direct connections example with pidgin. But I don’t find any solution.

Anyway, I’m only a beginner but I want to say that Ardour seem the best DAW I’ve tested so far (with Mulab, Tracktion, and Podium). Thank you.

Ardour does not need an Internet connection, but it uses sockets to signal various application threads (on localhost =127.0.0.1 only). It is not an outgoing connection and it is odd that this shows up on your system, usually windows firewall does not warn nor block those requests.

I don’t use windows firewall, that’s why.

Thank you. I guess I’ll leave it as it is.