Crackling sound & hight DSP load when exporting audio (archlinux pipewire-jack)

Hello, I might need some help to resolve this issue.

Ardour is working as expected when editing and mixing.

When I export an audio file from ardour (in any format, I tried WAV 32bit, ogg and mp3), there is a few seconds freeze, then the DSL load goes around 150% and when the export finishes the sound of the generated file is very crackled. I should also mention than the export is abnormally long.
I also sometimes experiment segmentation faults just when I click to export.

I’m on archlinux up to date with ardour version 8.6.0.
I am on the audio group and “ulimit -l” gives the output “unlimited”.
I’m using pipewire and pipewire-jack. Ardour says it is connected to the jack client. I tried launching ardour from the commandline with different buffer sizes but the same error occurs.

I tried to install reaper and with this program I don’t have issue with the export. So I assume it shouldn’t be an issue with the pipewire/jack configuration…

Do any of you have an idea of what could cause the issue ? Thank you in advance !

1 Like

Possibly this?: Ardour and Mixbus10 export issues - LinuxMusicians

It appears that PipeWire has broken exporting right now, I would think there will be a new release soon?

Do you need PipeWire at all for your use of Ardour? In my experience a LOT of headaches and breakages are avoided by simply using Ardour’s ALSA backend and connecting directly to your Audio hardware but some people require connection of other Audio apps while using Ardour which will necessitate using PipeWire…

3 Likes

Yes it is exactly the same problem ! (I thought I have looked everywhere on the web but I didn’t check on linuxmusicians)

Indeed it works like a charm when I’m just using ALSA directly. The only thing is that then I can’t listen back to the exported files until I close Ardour.
But that’s gonna be it for now.

Thank you soooooooo much for your quick answer and great workaround !

Have a nice day !

2 Likes

I looked into why Fedora was still using 1.0.7 in the repositories when there have been several 1.1.x and 1.2.x releases, and there are apparently several regressions in the newer versions.

1 Like

Got the same behaviour here so +1, using manjaro with :

Compiled with libpipewire 1.2.1
Linked with libpipewire 1.2.1

Using ALSA backend is a nice workaround, thank you

Fixed just now:

Well, fixed since few days, 1.2.2 is already out. It’s summer/holiday time even with rolling distroes it may takes a bit longer to reach end users ( still no in openSUSE TW).

1 Like