Crackling on one sound card but not another

I’m running Ardour on a system using pipewire for audio handling. I’ve been trying to work out a configuration that will let me run MIDI input from my USB MIDI keyboard into Ardour. So far, I’ve had the most success with JACK backend, as I can play the keyboard and listen to the audio come through on the master output. But approximately once a second there’s a brief period of crackling audio. I’m able to partially resolve that by launching Ardour with PIPEWIRE_LATENCY="128/48000" ardour7. But interestingly, that only resolves the crackling if I make the master output go to my USB DAC, and not to my motherboard sound card.

Output of pactl list sinks is at Sink #60 State: SUSPENDED Name: alsa_output.usb-E1DA_E1DA__9038D_PCM32_384_D - Pastebin.com. The USB DAC that doesn’t crackle is the E1DA, and the motherboard sound card is the HD Audio Controller. I don’t see any differences between them in e.g. sampling rate that would account for one crackling but not the other.

Anyone know how I can troubleshoot this and try to get the motherboard sound card working without crackling?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.