Correct settings for my vocals and backing music

For 2 years now, I have been using the Ardour recording studio software, but I have never been able to get my vocals to sound quite right, or my backing instruments, such as my electric guitar, or piano. Could I get advice with the mixer settings in the Ardour recording studio software? Example, I set my vocal audio at -6.0 volume, while my reverb is set to; .380 and .580. My instruments volume are set at -18.0. I also use the Amplified settings for the instruments only. Is this a good idea? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. x

The questions are too generic to give you any answers. Fader positions depend on the volume of the recorded audio and there are no rules for it.

Could you please give us more details about what is wrong and what you are trying to achieve. Do you have volume problems while recording or mixing ?

Thank you for the response. I do not have any volume problems. What I am trying to achieve, is a more professional sound for my vocals, when adding reverb. My vocals always come out sounding tin like, or too hollow. I am wanting to have more of a natural vocal sound, in the recording, with vibrato and reverb that is slightly produced without over production. Also, I often feel that the amplified level I use, for the instrumental, seems to be overbearing compared to my vocals. Thanks for your time.

Ok hollow vocals could be caused by many things.

• It could be a poor microphone, what microphone do you use ?
  • The microphone might be too far away from the sound source. Depending on the volume of your voice sing 30 - 50 cm away from the microphone.
  • The microphone might pick up too much of the reverberation of the room or nearby big surfaces. Solid surfaces it the room (windows, floor walls) reflect sound back and get recorder with your singing. This “muddies” the sound.
  • Use a compressor on the vocals, it evens out loud and soft portions and makes a voice sound a bit “stronger” also.

Or are the vocals ok before you add reverb and that is the problem ? What style of music are you making ? Pop / Rock / Hiphop, Classical ?

I use an mxl 440 condenser mic. I sing about 10 inches away from the mic. I
will pay closer attention to the reverb in the room, during recordings. I
see that my main problem is that I haven’t used a compressor on my vocals
before. I’m recording rock style of music. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.