converting former MS rig

I’m a new Linux convert, and I need help converting a former MS rig to UbuntuStudio 8. My PC is NOT a stellar setup (HP Pavilion a1210n with only 512ram), but has run quite well with all Windows apps (Adobe Audition 3, Ableton Live7, lots’o’VST’s, etc). I have a USB interface (Line 6 Toneport UX2).

How do I get these components to work in Ardour2 under Linux/Ubuntu 8? (Oh yeah, and I’m “maybe” a week old in Linux, so if you give me too much code I’m might yell “WINDOWS” at you–haha).

The trick is getting ALSA and Jack (respectively) to work with your system. Once those two are working, then Ardour will have no problem. I don’t recall Line 6 ALSA support from memory, but if it is supported it will be listed in the ALSA sound card matrix (alsa-project.org) along with the proper driver you need to use (most likely snd-usb-audio). Once Alsa is installed and working, jack is next, you’ll have to spend some time tweaking latencies. After jack is running properly, ardour is no sweat.

FYI it’s not listed. That doesn’t mean it won’t work. However, you won’t have all the Line 6 tone software controls… If you use a fairly static setup, then setup your inputs as preferred via Win and then try and use it… Of course you could always treat the sound after the fact with ladspa plugins.

With Ubuntu Studio you will find out very quickly if it works… just type aplay -l if you see something like this

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: default [USB Audio CODEC ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

then you are in business…

OK, still having issues. I’ve not yet been able to get anything to playback right (I’ve not even gotten to try my usb interface yet!). Any audio I import (“Add external audio”) plays back very choppy. I’ve adjusted many settings within Ardour to try to fix it, like Latency (in JACK pull-down menu), and session properties like real-time vs post-, and nothing affects the playback. I have reset everything back to “factory defaults”, so me and whoever-else-wants-to-have-pity-on-a-newbie are starting with a clean slate. I’ve included my desktop specs in the signature.

PS…why would it run OK “out-of-the-box” on my work PC (Dell Dim3000, 256ram) running Xubuntu, and have problems on this system?