Convert from Ardour 4 to Ardour 6.9 - some tracks only play on left channel

I’ve noticed that when I import and convert old files from Ardour 4, some tracks will only play on the left channel and the Left-Right slider of the mixer is stuck in the middle. All tracks were recorded in mono in Ardour 4. When I right click on the tracks and select “Outputs”, I can see “L” (left) “R” (right) and “1”, which seems to be a “port”.

Any idea how to fix this?

Henri

L + R + 1, usually indicates MIDI tracks with a synth (the 1, being a MIDI output), odd though.

Could you upload the original session file (Ardour 6 should have made a backup of that, named something like “the_session_name.ardour-3002” ?

Do you need only this one file? How do I upload it?

Yes, just the one file should be sufficient to investigate.

You could try if it fits on https://pastebin.com/ otherwise perhaps google-drive, drop-box or similar service… If you do not have access to any of those services, you could attach it to a bug report at https://tracker.ardour.org/ (but that requires a dedicated account)

Here is the link to the file. The lead guitar only plays in the left channel when converted into Ardour 6.9.

Also, why is the Left-Right slider stuck on that track?

h

This indicates a stereo track, you first have to reduce the width, before you change the center – The Ardour Manual
Alternatively right-click and change it to a stereo-balance control.

I see, you have loaded a stereo plugin onto the mono track. Specifically Calf Reverb. I expect you have not only updated Ardour, but also Calf plugins. Recent Calf adds a MIDI output, which explains why you’re seeing the “1” in addition to L+R.

The easy solution remove the plugins from each track.

Then add a stereo bus, load a revert plugin there, and use sends to the reverb-bus.

It is usually preferable to use a single Reverb, that ties the mix together like it was recorded in a single room. Individual reverb effects on tracks do not necessarily achieve that.

Another solution is to enable “strict i/O” (context menu of the mixer-strip header)

This prevents plugins from adding ports and the mono track will remain mono. However I do not know if that works well with Calf Stereo Reverb.

To elaborate… your original session had a setup like

Calf’s Left input is fed by the Mono track, but the right-input is no connected:

But the plugin produces stereo audio (green) and MIDI (red) output.

Thank you very much for your help, Robin!
Henri

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.