connecting ardour to jack

Further issues on FC5 x86 64

I’m not getting any input from my jack connections (using freebob). I’ve been having a hell of a time finding any software that will let me run it, to check and see if it’s a jack issue.

further to this, I don’t see any kind of edit cursor within ardour, and nothing i import wants to play. any ideas?

–Waffle

Are you able to start ardour alright? Does ardour see the jack ports for the freebob device?

I got the same problem on Ubuntu 6.06. No curser, no way to get any sounds out, but I can import wav-files. When I start from shell, I got the following report:

Ardour/GTK 0.99.2
(built using 1.3.0 with libardour 0.906.1 and GCC version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu2))
Copyright © 1999-2006 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright © Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Loading UI configuration file /etc/ardour/ardour_ui.rc
cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)
jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
jackd 0.100.0

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver …
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver … hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn’t support a 32bit sample format so JACK will try a 24bit format instead
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn’t support a 24bit sample format so JACK will try a 16bit format instead
nperiods = 2 for capture
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn’t support a 32bit sample format so JACK will try a 24bit format instead
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn’t support a 24bit sample format so JACK will try a 16bit format instead
nperiods = 2 for playback
ardour: [INFO]: JACK server started
Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour/ardour_system.rc
Loading user configuration file /home/jemies/.ardour/ardour.rc
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates “Mod2” when the NumLock key is pressed. This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use Mod3 to mean Meta rather than Mod2

This even if I unlock the NumLock before starting ardour. (it is locked by default from a script-package called Automatix)

I’m afraid I already mixed up all jack-patching-settings by trying somehow using missing intuition: wihtout any positive effect.

The commands dpkg-reconfigure jack or ardour just do prompt the answer, that both packages aren’t installed, though they surely are.

Any ideas?

Thanks and greetings
jemies

Update: Ardour starts fine, and runs fairly well when jack is started with the alsa backend, which leads me to believe that my problem lies with jack and/or the freebob backend. I’m hoping this isn’t simply a matter of waiting for the next release of freebob…

–Waffle