connect midi-jack to alsa-jack

Hi,

since I updated to ubuntu 10.04 I have this issue: midi through does not appear anymore in the midi connect tab of qjackctl. I already set the midi driver to “seq” in the preferences, and it doesn’t work. Midi-through only appears in the alsa tab.

The only workaround I found is starting a2jmidid, so I get a midi-through connection in the midi tab, which I can route to fst. But this is just more complicated than it used to be… My sound card has never changed, it’s and EDIROL UA-25 usb external sound card that always worked flawlessly since ubuntu 8.04.

Any idea why?
Thanks
Alessio

Make your connections through Patchage ( http://drobilla.net/blog/software/patchage/ )
It is easy and can see both ALSA and Jack MIDI connection
The connections (audio and MIDI) estabilished through QJackCtl are automatically added inside Patchage, so you can use both.

Hi, already tried patchage but it tells me it is impossible to connect alsa-midi to jack-midi when I try to connect midi-through with fst…

Hi, already tried patchage but it tells me it is impossible to connect alsa-midi to jack-midi when I try to connect midi-through with fst…

Ah, ok, probably I misunderstood your issue.

I thought your problem was that you could not see the alsa-midi connections inside QJackCtl, so you were forced to turn them into jack-midi ones.

To connect alsa-midi to jack-midi you need to use, as far as I know, a2jmidid, as you already do.

@vervelover: If you haven’t already tried it you could try my patchbay (JP1 - free to download from my site) all jack-midi ports should show up, I’ve been using it (having started jack with the -x seq option which I think is the same as adding seq in qjackctl). I don’t normally have any need to use alsa-midi after that.

I tried every possible patchbay including yours, but I there is no way I can connect fst to the midi through output without a2jmidid, which is ok but I really dont’ understand why am I forced to this workaround when everything worked flawlessy in Karmic Koala, maybe it’s the updated jack packages pushed into the Lucid release…