Compile Ardour for Win32/React OS

Now, lets get this straight now: I am NOT asking for a windows installer for this program. What I want to do is to try to compile ardour for windows, for my own testing reasons. What I need to know is, do I need anything special? I have C++ compilers in my windows environment, so I can compile. Also, I assume I have to build the dependencies for Windows as well, if they aren’t already available. Also, in my linux partition, is it possible to use the gcc compiler to cross compile for windows? I might just go that route if I can. So, what do you guys think? For me, this is more of an experiment, so any help would be appreciated, since I know this has been done before, as I have read in some threads here. Maybe if this works on windows, I might just test it in react os as well.

There is no sound in ReactOS. but for the rest: good luck.

Just don’t get angry when the people will say: Don’t do it, we’re not interested, we will not help you, it is not possible, look at the forums this was posted a hundred times …

Just do it :slight_smile:

@tbone

Actually I wish none of the Linux FOSS apps were ported to windoze. The only reason microsoft still stands as a company is because of piracy… and if everyone had to actually pay for their software that ship would sink quicker than the Titanic. Making open source apps run on windoze also adds buoyancy to that rats nest too, and it’s great that Ardour will not support it.

Now to the possibility of a port: for you, zero. You seem to think it’s as simple as adding a library/API, compling, and poof! it’s done. That is so naive that I feel like hitting you with a stick. Congrats on pirating VisualStudio, it shows that you should have no problem pirating Sonar, Cubase, or dozens of smaller sequencers.

One funny footnote to this is that the warez scene is dying. There have been many many arrests over the last few years and some piracy groups have outright quit. There was even a movement inside the warez community which advocated, “no crack for vista.” It seemed odd that for months there was no crack and only feeble attempts like resetting the trial period clock, and then a new warez group emerged with a legitimate crack, some claim it came from microsoft itself. But that’s not the only pressure on microsoft: when the price of PC hardware becomes obscenely cheap, commodity prices below $200, windoze will be priced out of the equation. Microsoft is already giving away XP to some favored PC builders, and the absolute low-end CPU’s are plenty powerful for running Linux, so the clock is ticking on their demise. Do yourself a favor and make the jump from windoze to Linux and don’t look back, because it’s a lot easier to install Linux on a PC (Ubuntu Studio has Ardour pre-installed in an ISO, for example) than it is to code the changes need to compile Ardour for windoze.

How rude! Now lets take apart what you just said.

“Actually I wish none of the Linux FOSS apps were ported to windoze. The only reason microsoft still stands as a company is because of piracy… and if everyone had to actually pay for their software that ship would sink quicker than the Titanic. Making open source apps run on windoze also adds buoyancy to that rats nest too, and it’s great that Ardour will not support it.”

Microsoft still stands because, aside from weak default security settings, they have a reliable OS. 95% of windows crashes are due to poorly coded 3rd party software, dont you know. I actually pay for the Windows software I use and rely on. Also, what you said about their being no ardour for windows just isn’t true. Here is a quote from a thread here: http://ardour.org/node/128
"Why doesn’t Ardour run on Windows ?

There have been several discussions about porting Ardour to Windows. The obstacles are relatively few in number, but rather substantial in significance. Ardour was written to run on operating systems that properly and efficiently support a portable operating system standard called POSIX (endorsed by the US government and many other large organizations). Linux and OS X both do a good job of supporting POSIX, but Windows does not. In particular, the efficiency with which Windows handles certain aspects of the POSIX standard makes it very hard to port Ardour to that platform. It is not impossible that we will port Ardour at some point, but Windows continues to be a rather unsuitable platform for pro-audio work despite the improvements that have been made to it in the last few years."

Now for your next paragraph:
“Now to the possibility of a port: for you, zero. You seem to think it’s as simple as adding a library/API, compling, and poof! it’s done. That is so naive that I feel like hitting you with a stick. Congrats on pirating VisualStudio, it shows that you should have no problem pirating Sonar, Cubase, or dozens of smaller sequencers.”

I’ve never ported anything before, thats why I’m asking @$$h0le! Also, I use Bloodshed’s Dev C++ compiler (which is free!) in Windows, I don’t use visual studio. Do you think anyone who uses windows pirates software? Since you give me the impression you do, I feel like giving you 40,000 volts with a cattle prod. As I already said, I buy the software I need, if it is not free.

next:

“One funny footnote to this is that the warez scene is dying. There have been many many arrests over the last few years and some piracy groups have outright quit. There was even a movement inside the warez community which advocated, “no crack for vista.” It seemed odd that for months there was no crack and only feeble attempts like resetting the trial period clock, and then a new warez group emerged with a legitimate crack, some claim it came from microsoft itself. But that’s not the only pressure on microsoft: when the price of PC hardware becomes obscenely cheap, commodity prices below $200, windoze will be priced out of the equation. Microsoft is already giving away XP to some favored PC builders, and the absolute low-end CPU’s are plenty powerful for running Linux, so the clock is ticking on their demise.”

I don’t even feel like writing a response to this, since it doesn’t concern me, and really, I wouldn’t know too much about warez.

last part!:

“Do yourself a favor and make the jump from windoze to Linux and don’t look back, because it’s a lot easier to install Linux on a PC (Ubuntu Studio has Ardour pre-installed in an ISO, for example) than it is to code the changes need to compile Ardour for windoze.”

I am currently dual booted with Vista (came on my box pre-installed) and Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy. I am an avid linux user, but I keep vista for my games, compatibility with windows software I need for college (that wort work in WINE), and I want to continue using windows software I payed good money for.

I want to attempt to port Ardour to Windows because if I don’t, who will? Experimenting like this is how Ardour finally has an OS X version. I also want the experience of doing a project like this for myself. So, what is involved in porting Ardour to Win 32?

1 Like

@ tbonedude I suggest to try porting first with a small app… (or better make an app for Windows, porting an app designed for one OS to another is a mistake you shouldn’t make in your life :wink: )

I don’t think you should expect people here to help you porting Ardour, cause that’s not what they want

You can yell scream whatever… it’s no…

And you better close this discussion and seek other ways… cause this one is not gonna be fruitful I tell you.

Just don’t get angry when the people will say: Don’t do it, we’re not interested, we will not help you, it is not possible, look at the forums this was posted a hundred times …
I’ve never ported anything before, thats why I’m asking @$$h0le!

You fail.

I know this thread is old and over, but…I cannot believe the rudeness here! Someone wants to learn something and a bunch of pompous, elitist snobs essentially tell him to f- off.
By the way, MacOS X is, at the very least, every bit as much an abominable rat’s nest as is Windows - nay, worse given Apple’s corporate policies. But the Ardour team likes to make generalizations about Windows users and have no intention of supporting that platform. Maybe it’s too much of an effort, or maybe they’re afraid of how their program is going to stack up against some of the other Windows DAWs.
I came here with the exact same questions and felt a bit uneasy at the end.

1 Like

@demerol

I would suggest you continue searching. Several things…

1. Compiling Ardour on ANY OS other than Linux is a non-trivial task. Some would say it is non-trivial on Linux as well. To give an example it takes a good solid days worth of work just to set up the build environment on OS X, where the hard work has already been done.

2. Mixbus has been ported to Windows, it took a veteran programmer months of solid full time work to complete that.

3. Ardour3 is also more likely to be ported to Windows. If you started in threads newer than 4 years old you might see this and realise your assertion(That there is no intention) is no longer true and hasn’t been for a while now(Probably coming up on a year or so). You would also see the work is completely different than that done for Mixbus previously.

4. There is a HUGE difference between porting to a largely POSIX standards compliant platform, software that uses POSIX libs, vs porting to Windows which doesn’t without a fair amount of work, and even then it isn’t complete last I checked. I consider it a pain in the ass to compile Ardour on Windows, and I know my way around code decent enough, and in fact submitted some of the original porting of the newer A3 code to OS X a long time back(Most of which has probably been updated/obsoleted by now by Paul and others). Compiling on Windows is a WHOLE nother ball of wax on top of that pain in the ass. OS X with time you can do it as the code stands right now, and a little elbow grease. Windows you have to rewrite parts of code that are less than trivial to account for functions non-existant on Windows even with some POSIX compatbility installed, compiling can take one of many forms ranging from using CYGWIN to trying to switch the entire build system to use MS Studio.

In other words, there is MUCH more work to be done to get it running on Windows.

#5. Noone that posted in this thread as of yet is part of the Ardour team.

And of course #6, if anyone was ‘afraid of how their program would stack up’ why would it have been released on OS X at all? Considering most major DAWs exist on OS X, and in fact some that don’t exist on Windows.

So while I agree that there was more than a bit of rudeness, something tbonedude found out long ago and still is part of this community last I checked, your post is so far off base and trolling up a dead thread as to be pretty bad in itself.

Seablade