Cold Whisper - Broken Fantasies

Today I released the next song of my "Scorched Earth” album, called "Broken Fantasies”:

Again, here’s a list of things I/we used:

• Audio interfaces / microphones:
    • Behringer UPhoria 404HD for guitars
    • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + SM-57 for vocals
  • MusE: for MIDI sequencing (drums, bass, synths)
  • Ardour 6.9: for recording, cutting, mixing, and mastering
  • Drums: DrumGizmo + The CrocellKit
  • Bass: based on the Fender Jazz Bass soundfont I created a while ago (see the Your creations Polyphone Soundfonts forum)
  • Rhythm and Lead Guitars: played with my Gibson Les Paul and recorded “direct-in”
  • Used Plugins:
    • mostly Calf and LSP (parametric EQs, compressors)
    • Guitarix (GxAmplifier-X, GxTubeScreamer, GxZita_rev1-Stereo)
    • ZynAddSubFX for the Synths
    • MDA Detune for the last seconds of the outro
    • x42-Autotune

So far I didn’t use an autotuner on vocals. This time we punctually had to, because the long lasting high notes in the choruses were really challenging for her to sing “perfectly” (in terms of emotion, expression, pitch). Basically we had the choice between trying to get a perfect take and give up frustrated in failing to do so, or getting takes having a good expression and fix up the “not quite on pitch”-thing later. :wink: Anyway, I think she did very well…

Thanks and regards.

Hi,
The recording sounds great. I could hear all the music parts distinctly. The overall mix has a nice wide sound.

I thought the vocals sounded great, including the choruses.

The arrangement works well. The composition is interesting.

Listened to it a few times. Really well done. Sounds great!

Thanks.

Thanks.

Some well placed dissonances in the backing vocals and synths usually do the trick. :slight_smile:

Great track! Strong verse and chorus. Love the synths, very well balanced. The guitars sound really cool, you get a great tone out of Guitarix. Personally I would’ve sped up the song a little bit I think to give it some more urgency. The outro is awesome, the chorus has a strong melody and very good choice to repeat that with synth notes and then detune out of it, sweet!

Thanks.

Yeah, I think I soon will reach the “perfect sound” (as if this is something that can ever be reached anyway… :sweat_smile:)
However there is one very strange thing I noticed yesterday: I wanted to take over the guitarix settings to the next song I’m currently producing, by dialing in the same values as in “Broken Fantasies”. In the end, it sounded completely different (volume and sound wise), and I have absolutely no idea, why… (same guitar, same audio interface, same gain, etc.) :confused:

The outro was the last thing I added and took about a week until everything (volume reduction of the main tracks, detune and reverb build-up and speed slow-down during the final notes, etc.) did fit together. In the end I think it was worth it. :slight_smile:

Regards.